Stalling on downshift?

rafbobber702

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my xs650, every now and then when I downshift quickly from say 4th to 1st gear coming to a full stop or a sharp turn. Say if I'm driving 40mph+ then slowing down quick downshifting. Of course I hold the clutch in when I shift all the way down, but the bike will stall. It won't stall when I get to a stop, it stalls about halfway slowing down.

My way of preventing it, is I blip the throttle every gear I down shift to until I get to a full stop. Similar to downshifting in a car, I always throttle match as I shift down quickly coming to a stop.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Depending on what carbs you have, they may be oversensitive to fuel sloshing forward during decelleration. To confirm, you could roll the idling bike to a steep incline (so the front is downhill), and see if the idle changes...

What rpm is your idle set at?

Well I'm running naked no gauges, other than my gps phone for speedo. Idle no clue but it doesn't feel like its too low...Plus I just got the carbs retuned the other day with new Uni foam filters, and bike is running smoother then it did before.

Depending on what carbs you have, they may be oversensitive to fuel sloshing forward during decelleration. To confirm, you could roll the idling bike to a steep incline (so the front is downhill), and see if the idle changes...

I'm running Mikuni carbs, practically new when I got the bike from the P.O. Can't find the model number of it though. I'll try that idling on the incline thing, but what should I expect to hear from the idle? And like above, carbs just got retuned and bike is running smoother and better than before.

Back