starter gear and spring...

oldbiker

oldbiker
Reaction score
hi guys ,,, if i need to replace the spring and gear so that my starter does not rattle /grind trying too electric start it ,,which side do i need to get a gasket for please and can 1 person on their own fix the kick starter thats floopy?? regards oldbiker

your talking about pulling the kickstart assembly out? that would be the right side, grab your allen wrenches and go at it. check the manual about puttin it back in and preloading the spring:D

Yes one person can do all thats needed. Drain the oil first. You can test the starter with out putting all the clutch parts and side cover on. Just do as you would to start the bike just don't let it run. Unhooking the ignition hot wire to the coils. This way you can test it, if it works ok then reassemble. If it still needs work you can just fix it. Once it works right then put the other stuff back on.
The kick start an be checked that way to. it just may flop around to much but it should return good even with the cover off. A floppy kick start, do you mean it don't return to the top? Could be some one put it in wrong or the retun spring broke or the peg broke off the case. All easy to fix. If the peg on the case broke off you can drill it out and thread it to put a bolt in there to hold the spring.
Someone somewhere did this and posted it up with pics. Here or at The Garage, don't recall.
If they see this they might give you a link to the thread.

Back