Starting troubles

apox

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
ok, so I put the last touches on the bike tonight and pulled its heavy ass out of my basement outside to try and start it. Turned the petcocks, seemed to fill through the clear filter nicely, no leaks, nothing coming out anywhere, I was so shocked I twisted the float bowl drain screw to see if it even had gas in it!. So.... I hit my little dip switch mounted to my plywood board with the other essentials for a basic starting/charging circuit *see picture* kicked it over, nothing, choke was out, gas seemed to flow ok. so I can only assume its an electrical problem. I recently, checked valve clearance, cam tensioner flush with nut, changed all filters, changed oil. The only MAJOR change i did was completely make my own wire harness from scratch with just the starting/charging circuit. Heres what I came up with, when I flipped the dip switch I got 12V across the majority of stuff, for example the fuses. My rotor from brush to brush was around 10V. I didnt test anything else because im very new to all this and I have a pamco ignition which im scared to death of in terms of frying it. So I didnt unplug nothing or do any spark tests or anything because im scared of frying it!

What do you guys think mite be my problem? am I on the right track interms of electrical? im gonna rewire it all in the next week and start again. Also when I tested my reg/rec combo as per the book the resistances didnt come out 10x different from one side to the other (Clymer book) but ive heard people say on here that it rarely does.. even though the book says it should. Can I rule the reg/rec out?

the last picture shows my brushes ungrounded

thanks,
Rob

Attachments

• IMG_0178.jpg
    IMG_0178.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0179.jpg
    IMG_0179.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0183.jpg
    IMG_0183.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 73
You're going to have to check for spark. You just need to make sure both plugs are grounded when you are checking.. You can use a wire with a clip on it to secure it to a ground. If it's got spark, then you have to make sure you have spark at the right time. That means going over your pamco set up procedures. http://www.yamahaxs650.com/installation.htm

If that's all good, or if you still can't get it started to check, then make sure your carbs are clean and giving it fuel. Compression readings?

Do you have a long piece of copper wire? Like out of a piece of house wiring. The uncovered ground wire is about right. A piece about 18 inches long. Bend a loop in each end that a spark plug screws into. I guess a coat hanger will work just clean the coating of the ends first. Slide this wire across the top of the engine so you can screw a plug into each loop. Hook the plug wires onto the plugs. Now crank the engine. This lets you check spark with out hurting any thing.

Back