stator volts ?

Sorry, I didn't ask the right question. I realized that unpluged would give a reading. The bike isn't charging and I have a mechanic friend who is looking into it for me. Thanks for the reply.

On all the 650s I've either owned or worked on the charging fault was always due to the Rotor being stuffed....But i'm NOT saying this is the go with yours,merely trying to point U in the right direction.Get a decent battery and test the rotor (the slip ring method) It's on here somewhere,I'm sure someone has already covered it.U can test if it is charging simply be hooking up a multimeter,one to positive and the other to neg WITH the bike running.
One thing I have learnt (the hard way)is that for the bike to run good then the battery must be at it's fullest capacity or U just end up with heartbreak ...Cheers.

Last edited:
On the 77 if you still have the stock system, you can unplug the rectifier And check the out put of the three white wires. About 10 to 20 VAC between the white wires.
On any years, if you unplug the stator you get no output. When you unplug the stator you unhook the wires to the brushes as well as the Stator windings.
If you unplug the stator wires at the 6 wire plug. You can try running jumper wires from the black and green wire of the stator plug to the harness plug. This will get power to the brushes, and should get the stator to put out a voltage. This voltage is an AC voltage. The rectifer changes it to DC.
Usually it's easier to unplug the stator 6 wire plug and the single yellow wire plug and test the 3 white wires. Should be about .9 ohms between each pair and infinity to ground. If it checks ok that way, then the trouble is likely somewhere else.
If your not charging, there are several checks to do.
Brushes, To short
Rotor ohms, 5 ohms
Stator, .9 ohms
If these all check ok, then you need to check the regulator. The Clymer book tells how on page 39. Don't try the adjustment, just check the ohms as the book tells how. If the reg checks out. Check the rectifier, on the same page as the regulator.
It can be a bad wire or connection some where. Check all the connections between the battery and the regulator, rectifier and brushes.

Over at The Garage they have 'Curly's Charging System Guide" In the electrical section. Takes you step by step on how to check your charging system. I'm not so good on the computer, so I don't know how to put up a link. It's not hard to find.

Back