Thanks to those in the know

DTs

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I built this '81 XS650 bobber a few years back, stock ingition, Uni-Pods, straight pipes (w/ baffles) ,ran fine, then I moved and it sat for quite a while, and I could never get it back running like it had prev. It was popping , backfireing real bad out the left side, all along I felt it was a carb issue, I rebuilt the carbs, rejetted, no luck, switched plug wire sides no changes. I fell in to the buy parts to fix it trap, bought another set of carbs, still no luck. Lurked around here searching , reading every similar post. Kept reading you need to trouble this or that. So finally started w/ a full elect troubleshooting, set cam tension, checked valve lash, V @ batt 13.4, V @ coil 12.9, checked resist @ primary, secondary all in spec, pickup coils, got to plug caps, and could not get consistent resistance thru either (LB05EZ) cap ? Hmmm. Got new set of LB05Fs, checked resistance, perfect. Reassembled, shot of starting fluid, and fired it up, VIOLA no popping, spitting, backfires at all. Got some other issues to work thru now, but engine is running decent enough to move forward and ride around. So huge Thanks to all you guys that take the time to help out, and describe how to trouble shot the various systems, etc.
Dave T.

Attachments

• 1677953005810.jpeg
    1677953005810.jpeg
    614.3 KB · Views: 52
I built this '81 XS650 bobber a few years back, stock ingition, Uni-Pods, straight pipes (w/ baffles) ,ran fine, then I moved and it sat for quite a while, and I could never get it back running like it had prev. It was popping , backfireing real bad out the left side, all along I felt it was a carb issue, I rebuilt the carbs, rejetted, no luck, switched plug wire sides no changes. I fell in to the buy parts to fix it trap, bought another set of carbs, still no luck. Lurked around here searching , reading every similar post. Kept reading you need to trouble this or that. So finally started w/ a full elect troubleshooting, set cam tension, checked valve lash, V @ batt 13.4, V @ coil 12.9, checked resist @ primary, secondary all in spec, pickup coils, got to plug caps, and could not get consistent resistance thru either (LB05EZ) cap ? Hmmm. Got new set of LB05Fs, checked resistance, perfect. Reassembled, shot of starting fluid, and fired it up, VIOLA no popping, spitting, backfires at all. Got some other issues to work thru now, but engine is running decent enough to move forward and ride around. So huge Thanks to all you guys that take the time to help out, and describe how to trouble shot the various systems, etc.
Dave T.
Pleased to hear you got a decent runner DT.
Keep us informed of the progress.

Back