The FTC goes after Harley Davidson for illegally voiding warranties

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Harley has been voiding customers warranties for those who do their own work or use non Harley branded parts.

The Federal Trade Commission said Harley-Davidson has been illegally voiding the warranties of consumers who repair their motorcycles and has ordered them to stop the practice. According to the FTC’s complaint, Harley Davidson and, separately, the Westinghouse Electric Company, violated the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act act by voiding warranties of customers who used independent repair shops or did the work themselves. The FTC also claimed that Harley-Davidson did not fully disclose its warranty restrictions to customers.

The FTC said the actions taken by both companies restricted customers’ choices at market, cost consumers money by forcing them to use dealerships instead of shopping around for repairs, undercut independent dealers, and reduced the resiliency of their product. It ordered both companies to stop violating the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, recognize a consumer’s right to repair, “come clean with consumers,” and alert dealers to compete fairly.

“The rubber is hitting the road on the FTC’s new focus on protecting your Right to Repair. Harley Davidson and Westinghouse are not the only companies that use the threat of a voided warranty to restrict repair,”

Glad they’re called on this BS. Always question dealers about their warranties. I forgot what act it is, it may even be the one you mentioned, but you’re also protected with putting on aftermarket parts. Say you go in because the bike is shifting weird or missing gears, the dealer can’t refuse your warranty claim because you added a slip on exhaust, they need to PROVE what you did caused that damage. At least in the US

Glad they’re called on this BS. Always question dealers about their warranties. I forgot what act it is, it may even be the one you mentioned, but you’re also protected with putting on aftermarket parts. Say you go in because the bike is shifting weird or missing gears, the dealer can’t refuse your warranty claim because you added a slip on exhaust, they need to PROVE what you did caused that damage. At least in the US

Yeah when I bought my new Suzuki, I decided I wanted to do my own work an not pay the dealership $600 to change my oil and adjust my valves, :cautious:. I looked into how doing my own work would affect my warranty, and found that Magnussen - Moss Warranty Act. allows owners to do their own work and use aftermarket parts. Even my owners handbook states that it’s ok to do your own work, just be sure to follow the recommended service schedule, and stick to the recommended weight oil. So that’s my plan, at least for the first year , which is all my warranty is, do my own work and save my receipts and document everything I’ve done. A new Japanese bike won’t likely have any problems in the first year anyways.

voiding the warranties of consumers who repair their motorcycles
If your bike requires a valid repair while under warranty, why in the world would you NOT take it to the dealer where the repair is gonna be free. Seems to me that "repair" and "maintenance" are being confused here. The M.M. act allows you to do the maintenance which you should document. If you made major changes or modifications to the bike while it was under warranty and now you have a problem that could be related to those changes, maybe you should have thought about it a little more before you went to messing with it. Slightly related, I know a lot of Harleytards who have no idea how to do an oil change.

If your bike requires a valid repair while under warranty, why in the world would you NOT take it to the dealer where the repair is gonna be free. Seems to me that "repair" and "maintenance" are being confused here

Yes, you are quite right. I was saying repair when what I meant was routine maintenance. I would certainly take it to a dealer if it needed a warranty repair.

Slightly related, I know a lot of Harleytards who have no idea how to do an oil change.

Come on give us/them a break! Do you have any idea how heavy a Harley is to pick up and tip over to pour the oil out of the oil tank! Not to mention how hard it is to turn the bike while someone holds the oil filter!

Come on give us/them a break! Do you have any idea how heavy a Harley is to pick up and tip over to pour the oil out of the oil tank! Not to mention how hard it is to turn the bike while someone holds the oil filter!
Gotta be tough, like a Yamaha owner! This probably SHOULD have been warranty work....
xs1100 upside down.jpg

Its pretty well known in Harley circles about the threat of a voided warranty for using parts that aren’t marked HD or Screamin Eagle. A lot of dealers would honor that warranty if you had them install the aftermarket parts for big bucks. A biggie for that is exhausts and tuners. I use the FP3 because it’s so much easier to do a tune myself with an app on my phone rather than a $700 Dyno tune that is programmed into your ECM and can’t be changed unless you go back for another $700 tune anytime you want to make a change to pipes or air cleaner.The Screamin Eagle tuner needs a laptop last time I checked. It’s marketing’s way of keeping you reined in. I’m glad to hear the FTC is on their ass about it.

If your bike requires a valid repair while under warranty, why in the world would you NOT take it to the dealer where the repair is gonna be free.
When my new, under warranty, KLX250 needed service, the dealer told me to bring it in and it would be 2 weeks or so until they got to it. I asked if I could make an appointment for two weeks out, and was told no. They worked on a first come first serve bassis. So I would be without my bike for a mimimum of 2 weeks while the bike just sat at the dealer, not being touched. I have had other very bad experences with dealer services. Even if under warranty, I now fix bikes myself.

How dumb do you think I am? Oh, never mind.
Wasn't that YOUR bike Marty?
Trip home from VJMC go well?
XJ sold with full disclosure, actually new owner found, has been through the thread here.
Your picture is an XJ1100. Mine is an XS1100, and yes, that’s how I worked it.
The VJMC Convention trip went very well. I put a thousand miles on Miss June.

Your picture is an XJ1100. Mine is an XS1100, and yes, that’s how I worked it.
The VJMC Convention trip went very well. I put a thousand miles on Miss June.
How could you miss that? It was my bike and it was in TC's garage in Portsmouth VA...He helped me fix what Randy Rago and i started but couldnt finish correctly.....I posted that pic in Gary's 5 bike thread..that turned into mostly an XJ1100 thread...:rolleyes:
@gggGary Thats too funny....:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

When my new, under warranty, KLX250 needed service, the dealer told me to bring it in and it would be 2 weeks or so until they got to it. I asked if I could make an appointment for two weeks out, and was told no. They worked on a first come first serve bassis. So I would be without my bike for a mimimum of 2 weeks while the bike just sat at the dealer, not being touched. I have had other very bad experences with dealer services. Even if under warranty, I now fix bikes myself.
That's why I hate dealers. I'm so old I remember good service.

Back