Tracker Since 2005

Slide

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all. New to this site but have been around other sites since my tracker build in 2005. It is now my daily ride as the Harley and Vmax were sold a few years ago. My son and I flattrack with a TT500 (540) and Champion framed Yamaha MX250. Currently converting the tracker to a Pamco and changing some of the cosmetics. Will be hanging around here as I notice this site has tons of good info with alot more useage than some of the older sites.
....Mel....

Attachments

• Mel's Tracker (2).JPG
    Mel's Tracker (2).JPG
    260 KB · Views: 240
  • June 7, 2007 002.jpg
    June 7, 2007 002.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 205
  • Sept 14 -08.jpg
    Sept 14 -08.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 178
Hi, welcome. Nice tracker - have seen its photo on the web before. Go the 500 Yam - nicely presented racer.

Hey Mel! Good to hear from you again. :) You still racing Dwayne's bike? How is he?

You'll be a great addition here, don't be bashful.

John

Hi John. Good to hear from you again. It's been a long time. Dwayne and I talk quite a bit but I haven't raced down south for 3 years. I have my own race bikes now and am racing in Alberta mostly. The club in Thorhild, AB has about 60 vintage flattrackers on a 3/8th mile and its pretty sweet. We also run on two wide fast 1\2 miles. Next time I talk to Dwayne I'll say hi.

Dave, the tank is a 750 Champion from Grand Prix Glass. Very good quality. If you decide on one get the front mount petcocks to allow you more room for the filters and lines above the carbs.

Dave, the tank is a 750 Champion from Grand Prix Glass. Very good quality. If you decide on one get the front mount petcocks to allow you more room for the filters and lines above the carbs.

Slide, I just spoke with Jake at GPSW yesterday. The Champion or Shell/Star are the 2 tanks I'm interested in. The ethanol issue is still my biggest concern, and he again assured me not to worry about that with his tanks. Jake claims his resins are impervious to all fuels. :banghead: The front petcock is something we discussed to give more room over the carbs. Can you please answer several question's?

1 What did you actually have to do to your frame, as far as cutting off brakets, etc, to mount it? I believe it mount from the front and rear?

2 How many gallons does it hold?

3 Are you concerned about ethanol, do you leave fuel in it constantly?

4 What sizes and brand are your tires?

5 Any more pics of that yellow beauty you can post? Thanks, RD

Hi Dave. Here's a link to my Photobucket file showing a few pics during the build. On the fronto of the frame I cut off the stock coil mount brackets, added gussets to the neck area for strength and appearance of a Champion style frame, removed the center portion of the front engine mounts and added a gusset to the frame just above the mounts. I cut off the existing side stand and rewelded a new side stand that follows the bottom frame rails better. Cut off the stock front footrest mounts and fabbed new mounts that bolt to the exhaust pipe mounts with Bates footpegs. Please view the pics for the rear where a new aluminum battery box was fabbed with the coils mounted directly ahead of the battery with plenty of room for the K&N filters. The rear seat loop was cut off but if doing it again I would cut about an inch less and plug the hole with handlebar inner plastic caps. The reg/rect is mounted behind the battery to the aluminum rear inner fender. I also fabbed the rear seat mount and used Wellnuts front and rear. The swingarm is from a Yamaha Radian and bolts right in adding two inches of length plus gets rid of the stock spagetti swingarm. Tires are Avon Distanzia front and rear and are great on the street and whenever I decide to let it rip in the fields or fire roads. Currently, I am converting to a Pamco ignition. I took the stock coils out and had to fab a filler plate just ahead of the battery box to mount the coils. The filler plate used the existing coil mounting bolts perfectly. The bike has been a ton of fun to ride and really turns heads as the Shell 1/2 mile pipes let out a snort. I recommend Jake's tanks as I have not had any problems whatsoever. Jake had a pretty good look at my bike in Sturgis and really liked it. I think the tank is about 1.6 gallons (not US) and I have about an 80 mile range. Just get the front mount petcocks with 90 degree race petcocks and you'll be good to go. Let me know if I can be of further help.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v604/slide/The Tracker/

....Mel....

Dave, get the 1/4" race petcocks. Jake sells them and would likely mount them for you. Jake's tanks have nuts built into the tank while other's mount their tanks using 5 or 7 minute epoxy. to romove an epoxy petcock give is a hard jab with a wrench and it pops loose. Both work as well as the other.
....Mel....

Mel, what gearing are you running and chain size/length also? I just installed the Radian arm and need to figure out my chain length. I'll be using 17/36 gears 530 size.

Last edited:
Looks like a 73'/74' MX? Who made the chamber? Been tinkering with the idea of a lightweight GP inspired build with a 75' I have. Would be nice to go underside pipe instead of cutting up a nice vintage 250 chamber to fit.

Hi all. New to this site but have been around other sites since my tracker build in 2005. It is now my daily ride as the Harley and Vmax were sold a few years ago. My son and I flattrack with a TT500 (540) and Champion framed Yamaha MX250. Currently converting the tracker to a Pamco and changing some of the cosmetics. Will be hanging around here as I notice this site has tons of good info with alot more useage than some of the older sites.
....Mel....
Welcome . Nice trackers. In my opinion , building a tracker is the only modification that really works for an XS. You got the original "chopper " concept ( make your bike lighter and handle better , eliminate everything you don't need , wring out maximum performance from the engine and simplify the electrics )

I ride a resto-mod but my next XS is going to be a tracker. ( I gave up on the scrambler idea, XS is just too heavy )

Welcome . Nice trackers. In my opinion , building a tracker is the only modification that really works for an XS. You got the original "chopper " concept ( make your bike lighter and handle better , eliminate everything you don't need , wring out maximum performance from the engine and simplify the electrics )

I ride a resto-mod but my next XS is going to be a tracker. ( I gave up on the scrambler idea, XS is just too heavy )

Dave, I'm running 17/34 520 chain with 112 links on the Radian arm. I sugget buying a 120 link and grind off to fit that 36 rear. I initally had a 38 tooth on the back and it was a buzzsaw. Fifth gear in a block or so but it was great in the stubble fields.

The MX250 flattracker is a 1973 in a Champion frame and is a sweetheart to ride. Back in the 70's I rode a '72 MX360 in a Champion and it hauled the mail.
....Mel....

Back