Two days wasted.

toglhot

First class butcher.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I just spent two days polishing the aluminium parts, then scrupulously cleaning them ready for painting. Bought some Bulldog adhesion promoter and sprayed the parts ready to. Hit them with 2k clear, what a waste. The Bulldog promoter is so thin it is almost impossible to avoid runs unless the surfaces to be painted are kept horizontal. The promoter comes out in large globules leaving a heavy orange peel effect. You can spray thick so the promoter has a chance to pool and flatten out a little but then the promoter runs over the edges. Not good stuff. And worst of all, $40 wasted. If that's not enough, it actually dulls the polished aluminium, making it look like it sat outside in the sun for a few days.
So now I'll have to remove the promoter repolish all the parts and the Bulldog can go in the bin. Not at all happy with this Bulldog product.

I just spent two days polishing the aluminium parts, then scrupulously cleaning them ready for painting. Bought some Bulldog adhesion promoter and sprayed the parts ready to. Hit them with 2k clear, what a waste. The Bulldog promoter is so thin it is almost impossible to avoid runs unless the surfaces to be painted are kept horizontal. The promoter comes out in large globules leaving a heavy orange peel effect. You can spray thick so the promoter has a chance to pool and flatten out a little but then the promoter runs over the edges. Not good stuff. And worst of all, $40 wasted. If that's not enough, it actually dulls the polished aluminium, making it look like it sat outside in the sun for a few days.
So now I'll have to remove the promoter repolish all the parts and the Bulldog can go in the bin. Not at all happy with this Bulldog product.

If it's the same product sold in the states, made by Kleen-Strip, it's not meant for bare metal. It's used over already painted surfaces. I use it on blending jobs. Try Shark Hyde on your bare aluminum in a spray can. It works pretty good.

Straight from the bulldog's mouth and recommended by paint supply shops.:

Bulldog® Adhesion Promoter is designed to promote paint adhesion to all automotive surfaces, even problem plastics. It works equally well on all flexible or rigid plastics, fiberglass, aluminum, glass, chrome, vinyl, galvanized metal, and painted surfaces.

Bulldog acts as a tie coat by allowing several different surfaces to be painted at the same time to assure a smooth, flawless, durable finish every time.

If added to the paint, it will perform as a flex agent, promoting more flexibility on plastics.

Bulldog® Adhesion Promoter is designed to promote paint adhesion to all automotive surfaces, even problem plastics. It works equally well on all flexible or rigid plastics, fiberglass, aluminum, glass, chrome, vinyl, galvanized metal, and painted surfaces.

Bulldog acts as a tie coat by allowing several different surfaces to be painted at the same time to assure a smooth, flawless, durable finish every time.

If added to the paint, it will perform as a flex agent, promoting more flexibility on plastics.
Good to know.

Go to sharkhide.com. I've used it on bare steel on a vintage racecar. It's available in quarts and rattle cans. The rattle cans spray out reasonably nice and it seems to hold up well. I've also used it on nuts, bolts etc.

Have you tried / used their alum polish product too? If so is it better than othe products on the market ?

I used Silvo exclusively, haven't seen anything that is remotely as good.at bringing out the shine!

After two days, the Bulldog was still tacky, appears it doesn't harden. No matter, a bit of petrol removes it quick.

Attachments

• c.gif
    c.gif
    571.3 KB · Views: 65
Back