UPS

I asked a good friend of mine who served 30 years in the Jax., Fl. Sheriff's Dept what he thought the percentage of shootings was that involved drugs and/or alcohol, 90% was his answer.
I would have to ask if the number of people killed because those things are illegal or tightly controlled would go down if they were unregulated. Not making any claims just thinking out loud.

I would have to ask if the number of people killed because those things are illegal or tightly controlled would go down if they were unregulated. Not making any claims just thinking out loud.
I've been pondering that same question for decades. Part of the problem is the fact that alcohol and other drugs alter you. I abstain from all of them for several reasons. As for alcohol, I'm enough of a butthole sober. As for other substances, It's how I was raised. I'm sure that the gang turf wars would decrease, but then poisonings and overdose deaths would go up, especially with the potent concoctions they're cooking up these days. In the end, I got nuthin'.

"Civility is the lubricant of society."
"An armed society is a civil society."
I think it matters not in which order these two quotes are presented.

Civility doesn't stop violence..........i can be civil before i shoot/stab/punch some one.

My cousins girlfriend was having trouble with her ex boyfriend, Jeliousy, stalking and some associated issues along those lines. My cousin went around to his house to talk to him to try and resolve the issues. He was met at the door, was asked to come in and offered a seat and a cup of coffe or tea. My cousin sat on the sofa while the ex boyfriend went out to put the kettle on. The ex boyfriend came back in with a shotgun and killed my cousin................It was all done civilly and this is a true story.

Last edited:
It's a freedom thing, he wouldn't understand.

He understands way more than he is given credit for........ I could say the same about you, but then that would be an ignorant statement because i do understand the thinking and the cultural basis behind your statment

He understands way more than he is given credit for........ I could say the same about you, but then that would be an ignorant statement because i do understand the thinking and the cultural basis behind your statment
Many Americans, especially those of us who strongly support our 2nd Amendment, believe in self reliance. Ultimately, I'm responsible for my own safety and defense. I will go out of my way to avoid a confrontation, as I understand the consequences of violence. I'll let an angry person "win" the argument and just back away. But if I'm in genuine fear and am given no choice............

Civility doesn't stop violence..........i can be civil before i shoot/stab/punch some one.

My cousins girlfriend was having trouble with her ex boyfriend, Jeliousy, stalking and some associated issues along those lines. My cousin went around to his house to talk to him to try and resolve the issues. He was met at the door, was asked to come in and offered a seat and a cup of coffe or tea. My cousin sat on the sofa while the ex boyfriend went out to put the kettle on. The ex boyfriend came back in with a shotgun and killed my cousin................It was all done civilly and this is a true story.
Sounds premeditated and not random.

Only after my cousin, (Roger, is/was his name), arrived on the doorstep unannounced could it be called a premeditated act. When did he, (the girlfriends ex), decide to kill Roger. At that point, or on impulse just before he did it. By being Civil and inviting him in, offering a seat and refreshments, any intent, and at what point it became premeditated between the time of arrival and the time of the murder was still hidden behind civility.

Being armed didn't equate to civility in this instance..........Goes against the statement "an armed society is a civil society"

Hence my joke in an earlier post...............moral of the joke is, be polite when addressing a man with a gun.

Many Americans, especially those of us who strongly support our 2nd Amendment, believe in self reliance. Ultimately, I'm responsible for my own safety and defense. I will go out of my way to avoid a confrontation, as I understand the consequences of violence. I'll let an angry person "win" the argument and just back away. But if I'm in genuine fear and am given no choice............

Australia doesn't have a second amendment, in fact we don't have a written constitution outlining the principles like you have for your republic. Our freedoms are based on law and our democratic principles of a right to challenge the status qua through a peaceful process.

I will go so far as to say all Australians believe in self reliance...............

Hence my joke in an earlier post...............moral of the joke is, be polite when addressing a man with a gun.

Australia doesn't have a second amendment, in fact we don't have a written constitution outlining the principles like you have for your republic. Our freedoms are based on law and our democratic principles of a right to challenge the status qua through a peaceful process.

I will go so far as to say all Australians believe in self reliance...............
The whole idea is be polite to everyone. The problem with "democracy" is it can be mob rule. In a true democracy, the majority can vote to take away your motorcycle....or anything else. Aussie's are certainly more self sufficient that most Europeans, but when riots broke out in L.A. in the 90's after the Rodney King verdict, Those Korean American store owners on their roofs armed with an array of semi-automatic weapons, would likely have lost everything, including their lives. Had it been Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane what do you think would have happened?

The whole idea is be polite to everyone. The problem with "democracy" is it can be mob rule. In a true democracy, the majority can vote to take away your motorcycle....or anything else. Aussie's are certainly more self sufficient that most Europeans, but when riots broke out in L.A. in the 90's after the Rodney King verdict, Those Korean American store owners on their roofs armed with an array of semi-automatic weapons, would likely have lost everything, including their lives. Had it been Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane what do you think would have happened?

No, no, i have to correct you here..............Democracy is not mob rule. It is majority rule that votes in gov't. No Australian gov't will not take away our motorbikes, ............(statements like that are just plain wrong, are said to justify using Australia as a bogey man country that suppress the public, takes away their freedoms and the public are to scared or weak to do anything about it, and allow the gov't to control all the aspects of their lives)........... or allow mob rule. It is the same as the US. Our freedoms allow us to object to anything that is changed from the status quo. That means with objections through the media, Petitions, (if their are enough signatures then that petition can force the gov't to review the laws or legislation), peaceful demonstrations and using services/groups to lobby gov't.

The cause of the riots after the RK verdict goes way deeper than people objecting to one single case.

Do some research on the Cronulla riots.................don't just take my word and the link I posted
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/article...m-of-the-cronulla-riots-15-years-on/rp4k54qfw

They were only 17 years ago.........

Last edited:
Last night, I watched a recent episode of Million Dollar Bogan. He’s an Aussie. He’s riding his Harley in California. He keeps talking about how everyone there is “packing heat”. He accidentally found himself at the entrance of a military installation. He described what the Marine sentry had as a “bazooka” (it was a shotgun). It’s all very interesting to see his take on it.

No, no, i have to correct you here..............Democracy is not mob rule. It is majority rule that votes in gov't. No Australian gov't will not take away our motorbikes, ............(statements like that are just plain wrong, are said to justify using Australia as a bogey man country that suppress the public, takes away their freedoms and the public are to scared or weak to do anything about it, and allow the gov't to control all the aspects of their lives)........... or allow mob rule. It is the same as the US. Our freedoms allow us to object to anything that is changed from the status quo. That means with objections through the media, Petitions, (if their are enough signatures then that petition can force the gov't to review the laws or legislation), peaceful demonstrations and using services/groups to lobby gov't.

The cause of the riots after the RK verdict goes way deeper than people objecting to one single case.

Do some research on the Cronulla riots.................don't just take my word and the link I posted
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/article...m-of-the-cronulla-riots-15-years-on/rp4k54qfw

They were only 17 years ago..

Aus and US.
Fundamental differences in their creation.
US, thirteen individual colonies tossing the yoke of oppression......we da boss now.
Aus, the evolution of a penal colony. Can we? Thank you.
Understood. I think the vlog points out a uniqueness of the US. It’s just an observation of how different we are in this regard, regardless how one feels about it.

Back