Vintage style tires

scott s

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Let's talk tires for a minute...

My '75 project still has what appears to be the original front tire. I'd like to restore the bike as close as possible to how it would've rolled out of the showroom in 1975.
I'm wondering if anyone makes a vintage style tire? I surfed around the Coker website, but don't have all the information in front of me right now to make a proper decision. I also don't know what size the original rear tire would've been.

My options:
Bias Ply - OG equipment, some modern bikes still run bias ply tires (Moto-Guzzi for example), and I don't plan on much canyon carving

Radial - better compound and technology but a modern look

Hybrid? - I know some hot-rod tires are available in a vintage look but with modern compounds, i.e. a "bias ply" tire that's actually a radial. Anything like this available for motorcycles?

tt 100 still look pretty old, there are a couple of asian manufacturers making classic style tyres, there is normally adds for them in the 3 UK classic bike mags

- curt, get a new one before you ride it, especially in the wet or on curves :yikes:

Curt, that might be nice. At least I can see the tread pattern so I can look for something similar. Can you post the size as well?

The O.G. front on the '75 is a Yokohama Y-982, size 3.50H19.
On the rear is a Cheng Shin (nylon), size 5.10 85H18.

The rear looks too wide and dual-sport to me. What would've been the correct size?

I have a brand new Shinko Tourmaster that would fit the front, size 100/90-19. Would that be the most comparable size to the 3.50H19?

Tire Widths

mm .. letter .. inches
80 ... MH ... 3.00
90 ... MJ ... 3.25
100 .. ML ... 3.50
110 .. MM .. 4.00
120 .. MP .. 4.50
130 .. MT .. 5.00
140 .. MU .. 5.50
150 .. MV .. 6.00

Hmmm...that chart is really helpful, but it says the 100 and the 3.50 cross reference. I guess the aspect ratio is way different, as the Yokohama is skinny compared to the Shinko.

- curt, get a new one before you ride it, especially in the wet or on curves :yikes:

Only keeping till the bike is close to running. I'm temped to to get the bike going and then use the old tire for a massive burn out, but I know once it's running I'm going to want to be on the road.

my bike is a 75 as well. I'm running the bridgestone spitfire's... it's a great tire and is for the vintage bikes.... it's a radial tire and my bike is more smooth and they handle the road great. also there very cost effective. I paid about 160$ for both shipped to my door.

bike011.jpg

I went with the Firestone Deluxe Champions... mainly because of the balloon style rear and the tread is the same front and rear. I have not ridden on them yet. I also wanted the softer sidewall because I have a hardtail. The rear is a 5.00 on a 16 inch mag.

Attachments

• roller back.JPG
    roller back.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 635
+1 on the spitfires. Good tire, inexpensive, and don't look so "new".

Running the stock front... Unless you're going for concourse points, i'd stay away from them.

I've got a spitfire on the back of mine, it's not all inspiring.
when slowing quickly through the gears the back end is all over the place, might be my riding style, or the suspension, but the avons I've got on the other one don't do this

I am also running Spitfires. 100/90/19 front and 110/90/18 in the rear. Tony C.

Attachments

• PB210005 (800x600).jpg
    PB210005 (800x600).jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 552
oh, no, the spitfire is *not* a high perf tire. it's a reasonably priced, reasonably long lasting tire. But it will be better than the oem.

Scott: sizes, front 100-90/19, rear 120/90-18. I've got a '78 standard.

yea, for my ride style the tire is great. I just like to cruise around. I did have my bike up to 120mph and the tires felt fine. I was able to fit a 130 in the rear with no rubbing...

I'm running Dunlop K70's. I dig the look and ride on dirt some. They're not the latest technology but they do the job. They're also pliable and much easier to mount than a radial tire.

Last edited:
Picked up two Avon Super Venom tires off ebay, $50 and $53! Less than $150 shipped for tow brand new Avons in the size I need. Woo-hoo!

Back