Washington get together ?

Blowtorch

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So summer is finally here in Washington, and there are quite a few of us in here. So what do you guys think about getting together this coming Sunday? 8-28-11?

I am building my first XS in my garage. PM and you are all welcome to come check it out. I live in Bremerton so it might be a good ride destination for some of you.

Well I have my XS running for around town, but I have some wierdnesses that keep me from taking it on the freway for long travel. It has a chain that is not evenly taught, gets loose then tight. I think its the sprocket, but maybe the chain. I broke my center stand 3 weeks back but just got an ebay replacment and put it on. So maybe I can check out the problem this weekend. I have another 34 tooth rear sprocket to fit on it to see if it is the sprocket. So long story short, I don't think I can make it!

Last edited:
Thats nice of you. I will let you know what i find out.

It would like to rub elbows with some XS650 folks. Most people think its a curiosity which is kind of fun, but not a lot of talk about real stuff.

Is it an O ring chain or a normal chain? Stock swing arm and shock mounts? Are the shocks old, or adjusted wrong for your riding style?

Is it an O ring chain or a normal chain? Stock swing arm and shock mounts? Are the shocks old, or adjusted wrong for your riding style?

It's an O ring chain. Stock swing arm and shocks. Maybe I have the shocks set a little too stiff for my riding style.

What's happening is that the chain changes from loose and taught as the tire rolls. I searched the internet and found several references to it and I think it's common. Most seem to say that it's a worn chain that causes this. Apparently it is caused by the natural unevenness of power that is applied to the chain in a way that is not perceivable to the rider but causes wear on the chain.

However my chain passes the "pull test"in multiple spots. So I am inclined to check the sprocket to be sure it's not out of round. I know that this can happen as well due to poor quality control during manufacture. My experience with aftermarket quality would not put this out of the realm of possibility. However, there is no proof that my spare sprocket will be any better.

I have a lot of experience with Bicycle parts and out of round chain rings is very normal and only a more expensive chain ring won't be out of round. Not a big a deal on a bicycle though. On a motorcycle, it's kind of worrisome.

I found that O ring chains gave me more hastle then there worth and I switched back to the standard type. I might have an extra sprocket or two lying around if you find yours are not working. Also is your rear wheel strait I wonder if that could cause it or a bearing worn out in your axle...? I might have a used chain that we could use to test it if you can't get a new one.

Wow, I hadn't heard that about O ring chains. However I always thought that regular chains are so cheap you could use them and discard several for the price of one O ring chain. I also think the mileage numbers I hear on O ring chains that sound fantastic are from people running worn out chains. Everything wears out. I mean 20 to 30K miles on a chain is just not believable. Some posts I have read where guys said they had those numbers also say they have the adjusters all the way back, which you would think would tell them something.

I will let you know how it goes with the sprocket. Thanks for the offer(s).

I put in new bearings in the wheels and bronze bearings in the swing arm. It feels tight back there; when I have it on the center stand I can’t get it to clunk around. There is no wobble in the wheel.

I always run O-ring or X-ring chains. The X-ring gives me 35,000 miles.

I wish I could. I have a long sang arm +4" and a vearry demanding ridding style. The ones I used never really seamed to work well for me. And I could not see myself spending that much on a chain. Id say my chains are running about 20K so one a year. And I'm running normal chain.

So any luck?

I have not done it yet. I will do it over the weekend. I am going to but a new tire on it too so it's a bigger job than the sprocket itself and I like to ride it to work and around town, so...

And I went a long bicycle ride last night. Yes Bicycle. It keeps my heart ticking. Tomorrow morning I am going on a 12 mile hike in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness. So won't be at it till tomorrow afternoon most likely. Have to maintain the wife's care tonight.

So you guys say that you can get that high mileage out of a MC chain. I am a MC newbie so I can't argue credibly. But it just seems like they would wear out sooner, unless they were totally encased in a chain protector to keep the dirt out. The O and X rings can protect the pins from wear, but not the rollers. Still the pins will wear.

I finally changed the sprocket today. It worked. No more problems with the chain slacking and tightening. I think it’s because the rear sprocket was worn out. I thought i looked good, but close inspection and comparing to my other sprocket I verified that it was actually worn out. This is harder to verify than I first thought, but I think I know how now. The PO must have put a new chain on old sprockets.

Other than that I put on another rear tire. I am starting to feel highway ready. I took it for a spin about 20 miles down the freeway. I am not sure if I have the right speed on the speedo. Using the gearing spreadsheet I found posted on this forum, it sys at 60 MPH I should be running 4280 RPM. However indicated is about 53 MPH. So either the speedo is wrong or the tachometer is wrong. It’s hard to tell and hard to gauge based on traffic.

Back