What did I do?

Q Tip

mad bomber
Reaction score
I'm trying to work my way through Curly's Charging Guide. Now I must preface all this by saying that I am an idiot in general and a total freaking idiot regarding electrics.

Started with 12.5V on my battery after a great day charging it up riding my Suzuki.

So I tried isolating the regulator by applying 12V from the positive post on the battery via a jumper wire to the positive brush, per Curly.

I got some major sparking touching 12V to the positive brush screw.

Well i just screwed the one end of my jumper on the brush screw and the other end has an alligator clamp, so I said, dang the sparks, and clamped onto the positive batter pole.

Instant smoke and wire meltage on my jumper! I burnt my little fingers snatching it off of there.

She still cranks and idles thank God.

One a better note my Rotor ohm's 5.2 between the rings and shows infinity grounded to the motor. So it may be ok.

Also my brushes are at least .5" long and look really good.

On your 79 the brush you jump to is the one with the green wire. That's the wire on the lower left screw. The wire to the upper screw is the ground.
Leo

Yep that's where I had it the lower left one with the insulator. The the other three screws share a ground.

Thanks for the help as always Leo, I appreciate it tremendously!

Back