Why Install a Hardtail? O.o?

I build all mine as rigids because the one time I rode an xs with suspension it made me feel funny...like I was wearing a dress or something. Jumped back on one of my hardtails and felt normal again....whew! It was scary!

Late `50s to the `70s, the interstate system was being built. And Texas was flush with oil, gasoline and asphalt. Our highways were glass smooth, that'll spoil ya. Rode just about everything back then, well designed machines to owner-modified or wore-out pieces of junk.

I'm a function over form type, and much of that function is ergonomics.

Doing long cross countrys on stockers/dressers are great for most folks, but I would experience neck/back/arm fatigue on those. Cross country on a well engineered (for me) rigid was more comfortable for me. Around town, the stockers were more practical, except the big dressers. When I ride dirt, I seem to prefer a dirtbike. Never rode any modern cruisers, itchin' to try them. Rode a friend's modern dirtbike, tremendous suspension travel, great handling, real improvement over the old stuff.

I prefer personal choice, research and experimentation over someone else's opinion. I said 'prefer', not 'close-minded'. I'll listen to a child's opinion on vegetables, and I'll listen to a rider's opinion on bikes, take it all in, might be something important in there. For example, some folks wouldn't take a dirt bike on a long cross country, and they give very reasonable reasons. I've done it, and tend to agree.

But don't care much for the 'whitewashing'. "Only dirtbikes are good in the dirt" makes sense, but I've ridden dirtbikes that only belong in the crusher. "Choppers are ill-handled deathtraps" makes sense, but I've seen an old long-forked hardtail panhead climb a hill that the dirtbikes couldn't. And I had to do service work on a really fine rigid that wouldn't stay upright. The owner had installed raked triple trees that gave it 'the look', but reversed the trail.

Like well fitted underwear, your bike should be what you want.

But I don't want to wear your underwear...

The bike in the background here is the only hard tail I have ever owned:
CIMG0706.jpg

Not only is it a hard tail, but it has tiny cable operated drum brakes, and a springer front end. It rides pretty bad, but the plunger seat helps. It also tops out around 50 mph, and comfortably cruises around 40 mph... so its not like you're hitting bumps very fast. Even if it could go highway speed, I don't think I would.

I'm sure there have been some innovations in the last 70 years though...

I had it explained to me this morning: QUOTE

I know alot of you guys are young on here and some of you got some real talent on building bikes BUT! most of you were sperm when i built my first couple bikes and you are missing the whole deal on building a CHOP. Has nothing to do with the RIDE/HANDLEING/FENDERS/TANK/SEAT..... ITS a BAR HOPPER and THE WOW!!!!! FACTOR. When you pull that rat or custom up to the bar and it empty's out to see what you build thats all there is. All the years i did shows with my bikes and there were some $40,000 harleys that i showed i didn't have the chains around it or the big body guards that told you that you can't take pictures. I let all my bikes open for you to sit on it or your girl or you kid take pictures GET NAKED if you wanted and i always had a group around my bikes just getting ASS SILLY. Great for shop and cool to get some numbers. Thats how i got my 2nd wife HAHA. Guys and GIRL bulider need ideas for there next build and if any of you build a cool bike and its copied FEEL GOOD.
I am going to be 61 and i started on a hardtail and i will DIE WITH MY HARDTAIL thats life for me. Harley/Honda/Yamaha does't matter what hardtail when you ride and people are hanging out of cars or turning around to see where the noise is and pointing at you and your bike. YOU DID IT!!!! CLOSE QUOTE

So actually, if I read this correctly, if it will hap-hazardly make it to the show-off hole, it's good enough. It does not have to be comfortable, safe, or even stable!

Right.

I am one of the young guys on here and this exactly. However I never built it for this reason, it came as an aftershock kinda thing. I built it because I loved the simplicity. The connection to the road and the relationship it demands with its owner. It is not a bike most could just hop on and ride the way I ride it....there's a real connection.

But the bar thing is a fact! Happens EVERY time I take it out!

The bike in the background here is the only hard tail I have ever owned:
CIMG0706.jpg

Not only is it a hard tail, but it has tiny cable operated drum brakes, and a springer front end. It rides pretty bad, but the plunger seat helps. It also tops out around 50 mph, and comfortably cruises around 40 mph... so its not like you're hitting bumps very fast. Even if it could go highway speed, I don't think I would.

I'm sure there have been some innovations in the last 70 years though...

hay is that a flat head 45? cool bikes I love the old bikes.:bike:

In the end, if extreme comfort is what the rider is looking for then there are so many more comfortable, better handling, better braking, faster and cooler bikes than the XS.... Cafe guys are going for their desired ride and look just as much as the rigid rider or the restorer type. If it was that much of a hang-up for any of us, we would all be riding goldwings and full dressers.. or buying brand new state of the art BMW's and Guzzi's. So for a chop guy to bash a cafe lover or a vintage resto guy to bash the chop, it makes no sense. We all march to the beat of our own drum.. some question the intentions of others or try to reason and rationalize what makes a bike lover tick... that's what makes the love of the ride and the bond between the rider and his machine so free to be free.... $.02

Posted via Mobile

That is it exactly! I couldn't agree with you more. It makes no sense for any of us on this forum to bash anyone else, because the fact that you are on this forums testifies to the fact that you are in one of the above mentioned categories.

The XS bobbers are what inspired me years ago to find an xs and build one. I fell in love with the look...but I was naive at the time and had never ridden a motorcycle. When I finally did pick up an xs I ended up buying another after I bobbed it, because I then wanted to build a cafe' bike....however a buddy convinced ($) me to build him a bobber from it. Since then I have built cafe's, brats, even working on a race bike/tracker project, and a giant 280 rear wheel plus monoshock conversion on a cb900. I think everyone has their likings and their own style and its shown through what they ride/build. However in this domain what i think is cool is that it all revolves around the XS.

With that being said I still have a deeply rooted liking for bobbers for some reason, but cafe racers fall right behind in the standings. It's something about the simplicity and the lines on a bobber...they just work aesthetically...but there's a reason i'm moving onto something with suspension for myself. ha

I don't have a strong opinion on this - I built a hardtail bike because I wanted to. I like the look. I had the vision in my head of what I wanted, and I built it. I'm very happy with the result.

If I want comfort and all day riding, I'll ride my Vulcan. I'm 44 years old and a professional designer with a wife and 2 kids. I have a good life and I'm comfortable being who I am. I don't really care what anyone else thinks about me or my bikes. Do I appreciate nice comments? Of course! Do I get bent outta shape if somebody doesn't like my bike or me? Not one little bit. It all comes down to perspective...

Cheers!

Back