will not accelerate under load

kevin l

Everything in XS
Reaction score
I have a 77 Yamaha XS 650 with a PMA and Pamco
just installed,it revs fine in neutral but when you put it in gear and go it does not accelerate until you hit the advance.

kevin,

Is that a mechanical advance? If so, then the advance is probably sticking or the springs are too tight.

Here is a video showing the correct "snap back" for the advancer.

Yes its a mechanical advance,I noticed when setting timing
that at 4000rpm it is going past the advance mark. Is it
possible to be retarded at TDC and advancing to far at 4000rpm

Yes its a mechanical advance,I noticed when setting timing
that at 4000rpm it is going past the advance mark. Is it
possible to be retarded at TDC and advancing to far at 4000rpm

kevin,

I guess we have to have a better description of your problem. Are you now saying that the advance goes past full advance but doesn't advance until 4,000 RPM and that is why you are lacking acceleration before you get to 4,000 RPM? If the base timing is set correctly, then it should not go past full advance unless the advancer is worn out and needs to be replaced. Also, the timing light works best on one of the two spark plug wires, so try the other wire. Also #2, did you try the snap back test?

The PMA and PAMCO were just installed last week, i can start out in 1st
gear and roll the throttle but it will not accelerate unless i grab some clutch
and get the rpms up, but once i back
off its back to square one again. I will try the snap
back test when i get home from work.

clutch doesn't seem to be slipping, the only way it wants to accelerate
Is if i slip the clutch to allow the rpm s to come up.

Pete
I tried the snapback test everything seems to be working . I am going to disassemble the Pamco and reinstall . Before I reinstall it I'm going to find top dead center using a timing sticker from HHB.I
watched Hugh's video on the Pamco install, maybe there's a chance I missed something.

Would it be best to remove my Xs charge and install the original alternator/stator and set TDC
before i reinstall the Pamco/Pma assemblies.

Back