Capt_Zoom

Raider Rider/xs newbie
Reaction score
So I want to run my wiring through the backbone. When I drill a hole for it should I use a bung to maintain strength or just drill a hole on the underside where there is less stress?

it is all stressed. sleave/bung it, what ever. dont just drill a hole willynilly in a structural part like that. it will fold faster than a wet taco!!

I would definitely put a bung or sleeve or something like Angus suggested, but I don't think it would just fold instantly without it.... well I guess that would depend on how big of a hole you drilled. In the end, you probably don't want to risk it and find out the hard way it needed to be reinforced... so do it up right! Then post pictures.

- whenever i have done this i have inserted a piece of tube into the frame and welded around it

- tube goes in at an acute angle to the frame - shape the end of the tube to the angle required, transfer this shape to a piece of paper and trace onto frame-shape will be double-ended ovalish-drill out and shape with a file...round out the inside edges of the tube so when you feed the cables through they dont get shaved

- insert your pull throughs now-put a piece of string in one hole, use a vacuum cleaner to suck the string through the frame, feed the string through your tube inserts and pull some wire through-this doesnt melt when you weld

- insert your tubes so they stick out about 0.5 in and weld into place, cut and grind smooth without cutting your pull through

- pull your cable through

- i have also seen people weld heavy washers around the frame holes

- use either of these techniques at your own risk :yikes::smoke::bike:

Back