XS650 23 YEAR BIKE CHASE

Adamc

XS650 MEDDLER
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Firstly thanks to all who answered my 'Leakey Casings Concern' thread.

CHASING A BIKE FOR 23 YEARS!

The bike in question came onto my radar over 23 years ago, at a dealer in Norwich England. Quite simply it is the prettiest XS650 I had ever seen; and I lusted for it. As is often the case I already had a stable of thorough bred bikes from the 1970's: HONDA CB750K & PHIL REID REPLICA both restored by myself to a high standard. I could not justify the purchase so the XS650 disappeared off the radar; I swore that if it ever came to market again I would buy it.
Scan 1.jpeg Scan.jpegPHIL RIED 1.jpg
The CB750K toured all over the UK & Europe; Even over the ALPS & PYRENEES!

Financial pressure and eventually opening my own business ADAM JAMES INTERIORS meant the bikes were regrettably sold.

Roll on to the current period 15 years later during covid lockdown and the 'biking itch' needed to be scratched. I found a lesser XS650 on eBay and contacted the seller via email with a view to purchase. Sadly it had sold the night before, much to my wife's joy! Two days later 'My Bike' appeared on eBay....IT MUST BE FATE, I convinced myself. I contacted the seller and agreed the purchase within minutes of seeing the advert. It was delivered within the week and is now in my warehouse. Superficially it looks perfect, but much needs to be done, as it was a trophy show piece in a 'Man Cave' for years without use.

XS650 FLAT TRACK SPECIAL. 1979 Base model.
Front end: DUCATI SOURCED
Hubs: HUSQURVANA Laced to Alloy Rims
Dash: Digital Electronic
Tank: KAWASAKI (Trail Bike?)
Seat: FLAT TRACK STYLE
Lights: UNKNOWN SOURCE
Brakes & Discs: BREMBO
Levers: NISSIN
Rear Sets: ITALY SOURCED

Screenshot 2021-07-28 at 10.57.24.png

Screenshot 2021-07-28 at 10.58.05.png Screenshot 2021-07-28 at 10.58.21.png Screenshot 2021-07-28 at 10.58.37.png Screenshot 2021-07-28 at 10.58.50.png Now the work begins!

Best regards,
Adam.

Last edited:
Hi RustyPyles
Thanks for the kind words.
Exhaust is a custom build and quite loud!
Its a pain for servicing though as it runs underneath the engine where all the drain plugs are!!

Hi Adam,
Glad you finally found your bike, and welcome to the forum! The exhaust is very eye catching , its the first thing you notice, but I can understand how that could make service work difficult and it might be hard to take a quiet morning ride through your neighborhood. :laugh2: If you ever decide to change it there are some attractive alternatives that might be a little easier to live with.
I didn’t notice immediately that high performance front end and brake but it sure looks the business!
Anyways , congratulations and hope to see you around the forum!
-Bob

Thanks Mailman,
You have already been a great help (alongside others on this forum) with this project.
It really feels like a good community; which I will contribute too in the future.
Everyone here seems to care.
Best regards,
Adam

Hi Adam, just stumbled across this thread. Welcome to the forum. Such a good story that you were finally able to buy your dream bike after all those years. And what a stunner! I like the stance of the bike, those Pirelli tyres, the tank paint job, the USD forks, the huge brake, the superbike bars . . . must nominate for the 2022 calendar. Looking forward to seeing it again. Cheers, Raymond

Last edited:
Thanks Raymond.
She is a beauty. And destined to be a riding machine not a show queen.
Calendar nomination is very kind to suggest; but my resto level is far from concourse.
Kind regards
Adam

Calendar nomination is very kind to suggest; but my resto level is far from concourse.

The bikes around here reflect the diversity of tastes & interests of the owners. And that diversity is highlighted in the calendar - an eclectic mixture of stockers, restored bikes, choppers, bobbers and trackers selected by popular vote from nominated bikes. IMO a looker like yours should be a shoo-in.

Back