My Build Thread.

love the ingenuity on removing the bush !:thumbsup:

Don't knock your to-do list.... at least its getting the rest of the work done lickityspit

I'm going to do a list of my own tonight as I have done nothing on the bike for nearly a week.:doh:

Thanks peanut. Sometime I get lucky.
The list brings it all home.
Put what needs to be accomplished in ones face as it were.
A very old strategy for getting the most out of a crew is to get them a list of things that needs to be accomplished that day. Just make sure the list is more than they can do. Monday thru Thursday that is I go easy on Fridays.

Okay, I'll tell noone!!!

I knew You could keep a secret :thumbsup:
the drive chain is installed, not adjusted though
full

Just wonderin', is there a locktab on the engine sprocket? Okay to run rear axle with nut on right side?
Grease/oil shield between electrics and drivechain?

Just wonderin', is there a locktab on the engine sprocket? Okay to run rear axle with nut on right side?
Hey 2Many Yes there is a lock tab on the sprocket. It's just dirty. I had to go and look:doh:
good idea I will make shield up thanks
Well I've run the axel both ways.
When I got the bike the axel was in this way.
And I didn't know at the time the axel went in the other way.
I changed wheels for this build it had 18" wheel
So when I first put on this wheel I turned the axel around.
The first thing I ran into was the adjuster left adjuster wanted to turn with the nut.
So much so that it bent the adjuster bolt. Now this a mikesxs aduster n bolt" bolt was zink crap" I replaced with a better bolt. The bolt wouldn't bend after that but the adjuster still would turn. I would have to grab the adjuster with vicegrips to keep it from rotating while I tightened the nut.
So since I pulled the wheel apart to drill and paint I just put the axel in backwards.
Now I just tightened up the axel nut and I wasn't even thinking about the adjuster movement but it didn't try to rotate while I tightened the nut.
I had no problems before.
Do You think I have made a bad choice?
Just because I didn't have problem before doesn't mean I wont have problem now.

Well, I don't know. Some things are convention, for good reason, like flintlock barrel pins entering from the left. Some bikes, maybe including certain later model XS's, have different adjusters for different axle diameter sections. All I know is the older stuff, and the axle direction can be either way, but convention has usually been with the nut on the left.

I always kept the chain on my hardtail well lubed, and it would well-lube everything around it, including the long fringe on my "Davy Crocket" riding jacket. Was just a heads-up...

:laugh::laugh::laugh: you got there before me :D

I guess its just a mock up huh :wink2:

I would well-lube everything around it, including the long fringe on my "Davy Crocket" riding jacket. ...

Davy Crocket hat too ?:laugh:

I have a picture in my minds eye of someone in a Davy Crocket outfit with a Brown Bess trundling along on their XS650 through the woods :D

damn .... did I miss something ?:D

Hows the list coming on?:wink2:

Yes You missed my rant.
It should be in your email notification
I have not got to the bike today as of yet.
I have just opened the list 5 minutes ago.
I have a couple of things to do before I get to the list.
I need to find the brake pads and pins that hold them in and that dust cover too:doh:

My axle nut is on the right side. I do it that way because I'm right handed. But honestly, I didn't know it was supposed to be on the left. I did notice that one adjuster has a smaller hole that only fits over the threaded portion of the axle. I just flipped it as they are acey/ducy.

Yep that's right I just flipped them over too.

I was looking at the extended throttle and clutch cables I bought from Mikesxs.

They have to be cut to length and soldered.
I don't know why I didn't expect that, but I didn't.
I think I have some old fashion solid core solder.
full

Just a little trick you may want to try someday, if you want to soften the 'bark' of XS launch and make low speed cruise easier to manage, is to fashion a pulley-type cable guide at the throttle arm:

Attachments

• SoftThrottle.jpg
    SoftThrottle.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 413
Just a little trick you may want to try someday, if you want to soften the 'bark' of XS launch and make low speed cruise easier to manage, is to fashion a pulley-type cable guide at the throttle arm:

thats an ingenious solution twomany :thumbsup: I might adopt that myself thanks for the tip

Its the exact reverse of we used to do with our early Porsche 944 throttles :laugh::laugh:

I'm getting closer
Clutch cable cut fitted and installed
left side cover installed

thats damn good progress carbon well done!

I confess the cover didn't come off my bike yesterday because I haven't got a list :(:(:(

First thing on todays list ? ....make a list :wink2:

Solder on your own cable ends huh, that figures... that's mikesxs for ya.
Counting down on that list brother! Bikes looking good man.

Back