My XS650 project, Deep South XS

ippytattoo

Just another grumpy old hack.
Reaction score
I figured I should start a build thread so that I can keep track of what I have done and so everyone else will be able to see as well.

I started off with an '81 basket case that had seen better days and this is where I have gotten so far.

I fitted a gas tank form a Honda Rebel, it had no tank when I got it, which I had to move the petcock 3" towards the rear of the tank. I then installed a PMA from a collection of parts (pics on this to come later when I rebuild the motor). Installed Pamco ignition with custom coil mount. . Installed risers from a 04 Triumph Thunderbird 900 with drag bars and KZ900 throttle and switches and mini gauges from Dime City. Fabricated an electronics tray and wired the bike using a slightly altered simplified wiring diagram from the tech section since there was no wiring harness when I picked it up. Had Oldskoolcarbs rebuild my BS34's, and what a great job he did. Installed hydraulic clutch conversion as posted here. Fit the throttle cable after making a custom cable end. Started modifying and polishing covers.

Attachments

• DSCF0438 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF0438 (1024x768).jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 880
  • DSCF0431 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF0431 (1024x768).jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 815
  • DSCF0430 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF0430 (1024x768).jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 1,023
  • DSCF0432 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF0432 (1024x768).jpg
    89 KB · Views: 778
  • DSCF0435 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF0435 (1024x768).jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 810
  • DSCF0440 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF0440 (1024x768).jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 734
  • DSCF0443 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF0443 (1024x768).jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 668
  • DSCF0444 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF0444 (1024x768).jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 745
  • DSCF0442 (1024x768) (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF0442 (1024x768) (1024x768).jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 656
  • DSCF0454 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF0454 (1024x768).jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 699
I had a set of carbs done by Oldschoolcarbs for my honda CB900C. He did a fantastic job. Bike never ran better, didnt even need to sync. or adjust mixture screws. The carbs even looked amazing! It cost $300 and took 6 months (due to Japanese Tsunami), but I feel it was worth it. Talked to the owner there several times and he was always professional and easy to talk to. Def. reccomend using them. Glad to hear he is doing the mikuni carbs. too.

Nice work! Neat, well laid out job on the wiring panel.

Other than "different" (which is certainly as good a reason as any...) what is the advantage of a hydraulic clutch linkage?

What kind of ignition did you use? I think I see a condenser there. I tried the Accel with a Boyer and my bike was hard to start. I am going to try a small battery.
jefft

Downeaster, Thanks for the kind words. There are 2 main benefits of a hydraulic clutch. First is that it is self adjusting and second is an easier pull.

jefft, I am using a Pamco. No condensors.

I used a generic key switch from my work that is very low amperage so i use the 40A relay to act as a main relay for power to the whole bike. Both items I had laying around so I figured I would use what I had. I have the power from the battery running to the relay then through a circuit breaker and then to the fuses just for added pretection form a short. I know it is probably overkill. You can see the key swith in the top right hand corner of the 3rd pic.

Downeaster, Thanks for the kind words. There are 2 main benefits of a hydraulic clutch. First is that it is self adjusting and second is an easier pull.

To this I'd add that a hydraulic clutch is linear-rate, whereas the stock cable clutch is falling-rate. On a cable clutch, the pushrod moves less and less the further you pull in the lever. On a hydraulic clutch, the last bit of lever movement moves the pushrod just as much as the first bit of lever movement.

It also adjusts the slack that the clutch gets as the motor warms up.

Your bike is gonna sound like a calliope going down the road with a those holes. :) You shined up the cover nice.

John

Tore down the motor for my "Deep South XS" project today (due to excessive oil smoke on the right side) expecting to do a top end rebuild, bore and hone and all new gaskets and seals and got a bit of bad news. The small ends of the connecting rods are worn pretty badly. One (the left) has about half the copper gone and the other (right) has no copper left.:wtf: I guess it's a good thing I didn't just decide to try and run the motor as is. When I pulled the rocker cover off and loosened the cam chain adjuster the cam chain was so loose and stretched that I could lift it enough to make it skip a tooth on the cam, now that's a loose chain. The cylinders have some scoring on them but nothing to serious, thankfully I was already planning on having them bored. I guess the good news is that I will have an excuse to send the crank and cam to Hugh to do a rephase.:D Anybody in need of a standard Pamco (Mikes Part #14-0911) with a coil mount bracket that goes in between the horn and frame, I guess I have one available for sale.

Gotta love any excuse to rephase. Looks like you might be rephased before me. If so you gotta bring it by once you are done.

It'll be a while before I get it done, gotta save up the cash! When I get it back together I will definitely bring it by, rephased or not. (still looking for a good crank assy.)

I might have to steal that side cover idea, but are you worried about water/rain getting into the side and mucking with the electronics?

I don't think he would be too worried about it, the banshee flywheel does a pretty good job of covering up most of it.

And yeah, bring it down. I am slowly putting together what I have had in my mind for a while.

I have the PMA swap so there is nothing to muck up, short out. If I had the stock charging system I doubt I would have even thought about drilling the holes in the covers. They enough problems without adding water to the mix.

what do you want for that PAMCO set up? And thank you for validating my idea on the side cover... maybe I will do what I had thought of to the alt cover... top secret

Last edited:
For sale posted in the classifieds with more details, pics coming later today. When you get the alternator cover done make sure to post pics, we all love pics.

Back