My XS650 project, Deep South XS

Just throwing ideas about, that's what's great about forums, gets us all thinking and I should get talking to you all as pretty soon I'll be asking for advice with annoying regularity!

Glad you got her flashed up, always a great moment during a project!

Cheers Luke

I can't recall just where it was, bt I have seen hydralic clutchs with the slave cylinder on the inside of the cover , with the line comming up out the hole where the clutch cable was.
Very clean, looked almost stock.
Leo

I think Hugh was working on one like that if I remember corectly. The Aprilia slave cylinders are plentiful and fairly inexpensive making this an affordable upgrade. I have just over $100 in the master and slave cylinders.

I got my forward controls all mounted and new linkages fabbed up yesterday (thanks bobberboy for the controls), pics to come later, and rear brake connected and functioning (will be ordering all the needed pads, shoes and caliper rebuild kits to finish up the brakes later this week). Well I got tired of seeing my old girl sitting in the driveway under the carport so I decided to take her for a little spin today just to test a few things out (wasn't going very far as I don't trust the tires). I have to say that it felt really nice to get her moving under her own power instead of being pushed around. The hydraulic clutch worked flawlessly, maybe a little well, I had to let it almost all the way out before it started to grab but when it grabbed there was no slippage. At first I just putted down to the end of the road and around the culdesac testing the engagement of the clutch. After I got around the culdesac pointed back towards the house decided to test throttle response and OH MY GOD!!! the throttle response was amazing, I damn near slid off the back of the of the rails (no seat yet) as she pulled like a freight train through first and into second. I am very pleased with my rebuild on the engine. Now I've got a real bad itch to get this thing finished up, next month I will be tearing her down to send the frame off for hardtailing.

I may have missed it, but did you rephase when you rebuilt?

No I ended up finding a pristine crank assembly for $100 so I just put it back together as normal. I think probably in a year or so I will pick up another motor to do a rephase and 750 kit. I just didn't have the funds to do a rephase/big bore and everything else I need to get done so I can ride this summer.

I feel you. This semester has been tough financially, hoping next one is better so I can make some progress on the engine that's sitting in the garage.

Where did you get those pipes at? I want to get something exactly the same and wrap them in black, I love the look!

Just a little update on my slowly progressing build. I have got about 250 miles on it and it is running great as far as the motor is concerned but I have found a very annoying issue with the tranny. It had a little bit of a slipping clutch which I atribite to 30 year old friction discs and springs so I have changed them over to Barnett discs and springs which definitely cured the slipping problem. While I was at it I installed a 30t rear sprocket to bring the rpm's down at highway speed. I must say that at 85mph on the interstate is much better now. But now I have an issue with it popping out of second gear into neutral under hard acceleration and it has started to pop out of first gear momentarily and right back in. Looks as though I will have to take off the clutch cover again to inspect the shift shaft springs. If I don't find anything wrong with them I may have to split the cases to check out the tranny. If I have to split the cases I think I will just get another set of tranny gears and bevel the dogs before I put it in just to make sure.

Here is how my bike sits at the moment:

full

full

full

full

full

Looks great!
Which slave/master did you use for the clutch?

Thanks. I can't wait to get the DIY hardtail from Ardcore, I think it will really set it off along with the rear fender that I picked up from a kikker 5150. I used an Aprilia slave cylinder and a master cylinder from MikesXS.

What happened to the two color tank? I thought that was sweet looking! Forward controls look real nice. Cool bike.

The 2 tone will be coming back it developed a leak in the seam between the tunnel and the side of the tank, It would have actually cost more to get it fixed than to pick up a straight, clean new tank that has was larger. I will be putting the same design on this tank as the other one.

Ordered my Ardtail today!!!:yikes: Should see it in about 4-5 weeks according to Jon so the old girl will be going under the knife for a little cosmetic surgery in a couple months. Time to brush up on my welding a little bit and get together the rest of the parts ie. rear brake pivot from hugh and a seat mount.

Turbo, speaking of liking I must say that I like the work you have been doing. As far as forward controls go I really like them. The last 2 bikes I have owned I put forward controls on them and it feels like a more relaxed riding position to me at least. I guess it is all a matter of personal preference.

Back