.022 long rifle amo

I scored a bulk box of Remington from a friend. I haven't seen any for sale all summer. My son is excited because I can finally take him to the range. He shoots a gsg1911-22 really good.

My favorite rifle now is a .22 Glenfield squirrel stock. Accurate enough to be lots of fun, and was only $90, carefully selected at a pawn shop that for some reason had about a dozen of them. I'd have more of a collection if I had some place to shoot...

Dog started barkin' his head off 15 minutes ago. Shure 'nuff, 'bout 50 yards off is another one of those vertical black/white featherdusters. Don't need the stink. Score another for the squirrel stock.

Marlin model 6060...

Attachments

• Marlin6060.jpg
    Marlin6060.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 169
^I figured it was a rare gun for some reason. Now I'm not surprised the shop had 12 of them... I'll try to remember to take a shot of mine. I'll include a box of ammo so the op can eat his heart out :)

Strangely, mine was also a $90 pawnshop find. What are the odds? Had a brand-new stainless newer model for awhile, not up the standards of these older ones. Its barrel and bore were misaligned, and the barrel/receiver retaining pin fit was poor, triggerguard was poor-fitting plastic, unloaded it at a gunshow...

Just scored a new CZ 452 and ammo is hard to find. If your not at Walmart when they put the few boxes on the shelf you don't get any. Cabela's is where I have found some. It's always available on gunbroker if your willing to pay.
jefft

Coupla years ago found a CZ 452 in .17 hmr, longer 28" barrel with the European old world walnut hogback stock, just what I had been looking for. The shop couldn't move it, let me have it for cost. Super accurate, groups 1/2" @100 yds, iron sights. Problem is in scope mounting, measure the dovetail to see if yours is the euro 11mm. Don't like magazine protrusion, found a way to mod mag and follower to get a flush fit and still hold 5 rds...

Yea i cant believe it. I have a decent gun collection and have always favored the .22 for just plinking and what not. Bought a Marlin .22 mag about 10 years ago. Ammo wasnt bad for it then about a year later .22 mag went through the roof for some reason. Couple years ago i picked up a cz 452 ultra lux, Love it but cant find ammo locally. I still have reserves but hate to shoot something that i cant replace what ammo i have easily.

My son-in-law said that Fin, Feather and Fir has bricks of 22LR for $50.00 a brick. They have them in stock ...if you want to pay the price.

If you check on a regular basis you can find good deals on gunbot.net. Palmettostatearmory.com is another one to keep an eye on. I've bought around 2500 rounds of .22lr over the past couple months.

Last edited:
I have heard many guys that know more about rifles then me say that the CZ is arguably the best .22 out of the box that you can buy under a grand. I haven't found any plastic on the thing. I have both the trainer and ultra lux. Many are mounting the Leupold 2-7X28 rimfire scopes and other short scopes that are around 11 inches or less to clear the rear iron sights. CZ's are nice. Better grab one while you can, I hear the 452's are going to be discontinued. Good things said about them over on rimfire central website. By the way what are some of your thoughts on using gun rods for cleaning (I don't use them). I have always used the pull through patches by cord to protect the bore. Hoarding ammo may make you a target but if the shit hits the fan your going to be one anyway whether its the food, water, ammo or whatever else your holding.
jefft

Last edited:
Jefft, here's some pics of my CZ-452, with 2-7x32 scope (first pic). Have mounted modified Banner 3-9x40 (top scope), but xhairs too thick. Middle scope, 3-9x40, is next experiment. Drawing (2nd pic) shows clearance/fit measurements. Third pic shows modified magazine inserted, flush. Pic 4 is 100 yd shot group. Next step is to eliminate flyers...

Attachments

• CZ452-a.jpg
    CZ452-a.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 158
  • CZ452-plan.jpg
    CZ452-plan.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 164
  • CZ452-b.jpg
    CZ452-b.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 149
  • CZ452-target.jpg
    CZ452-target.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 159
As far as cleaning rods, yes, I use them, sometimes make my own, but I'm doing a lot of "Oh, I wouldn't do that" kinds of things, so your preference for bore snakes is quite prudent...

By the way what are some of your thoughts on using gun rods for cleaning (I don't use them).

The best thing to do is what the bench rest shooters do, since they have everything riding on it. Years ago I got this book named "The Ultimate In Rifle Accuracy" and if there's a rifle I want to keep accurate I go by it. The products he mentions are still available. A rod is ok but it should be a one piece plastic covered one with a brush made of brass and without changing direction in the middle of the barrel, and preferably used from the breech end

I was reading reviews of the book just now and people are complaining that it's only about bench rest shooting. Well...that's the ultimate in rifle accuracy. What did they expect :)

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Rifle-Accuracy-Glen-Newick/dp/0883171597

But it's about center fire, and a lot of people don't clean .22 at all. I keep my bore oiled with Breakfree, but that's all. I cleaned it once when I first got it. With center fire the cleaning is mostly to remove copper.

TwomanyXS1bs: Nice looking CZ. I am a big CZ fan. I have heard a lot of good things lately by the little known Mueller scope company. Glass comes from Japan where many of the better glass comes from these days. It is a modestly priced scope but compares quite well with the bigger priced Leupolds and Nikons so they say over on rimfire central. Clearidge is another scope that seems to have quite following without breaking the bank. I scored a 1968 prewarning in unfired mint condition 10/22 on ebay the other day but it cost me. I also bought a really neat Otis gun cleaning kit the other day that is similar to a boresnake. It has a nylon covered steel cable with pull through patches and brass brushes. Its perfect and is very compact for field cleaning. Check out the new "CZ tacticool" rifle when you get a chance. Its next on the radar.
jefft

Last edited:
Jefft, here's some pics of my CZ-452, with 2-7x32 scope (first pic). Have mounted modified Banner 3-9x40 (top scope), but xhairs too thick. Middle scope, 3-9x40, is next experiment. Drawing (2nd pic) shows clearance/fit measurements. Third pic shows modified magazine inserted, flush. Pic 4 is 100 yd shot group. Next step is to eliminate flyers...

thats pretty impressive grouping for a one eyed fat man :D

I keep meaning to look out for a nice .22lr I have a slot on my license . I've always fancied one of those old 50's fairground pump action 22lr for plinking ,the ones with the bent sights :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Back