1970 XS Bobber build Brisbane - advice??

Paul M

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have been using this forum for inspiration for a while and a few months ago i got my first XS650 so i thought i would start a thread to ask some advice and post build pics.

So i started out with a 1970 XS which had been chopped maybe 20 years ago and had 4 over forks and a lovely brownish paint job but all in all a strong motor and good starting point for what i wanted.

From there i designed a new frame and had it fabricated up (with a few minor issues like they put axle plates for the wrong size axle so i now have to grind 2mm out of the top of the channel to fit my axle!! any advice on this one?)

While that was being done i sourced all parts to make my own PMA from various models of bikes. (Thanks for that as the info was all from here!!)

I also sourced some stock length forks from a later model which will be perfect once i figure out how to swap the steering neck from the old triples to these as the newer model is too long! Again any advice?

Anyway that seems to be where i am up to now ill post some pics and hopefully you guys can help me with the questions i have now and in the future!

Cheers Paul
original bike.PNG
original bike.PNG
original bike 2.PNG

Attachments

• frame design.JPG
    frame design.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 119
  • frame on jig.JPG
    frame on jig.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 142
  • frame progress.JPG
    frame progress.JPG
    193.5 KB · Views: 132
  • mono shock mount.JPG
    mono shock mount.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 118
  • axle mounts.JPG
    axle mounts.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 131
  • forward control template.JPG
    forward control template.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 124
Welcome to the forum, Paul M.

Yep, that's an early frame, bottom engine mount passes thru the frame, not above it. The 70-73 frames have a shorter (about 3/4"?) steering tube.

There's several folks that have done a steering stem swap or shortening thing, but that stuff's buried in here somewhere. Could try searches on "shortening stem", "welding trees". Hopefully, a knowledgeable member will chime in...

Back