1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

1973 TX 650 Rebuild

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lakeview, Nov 20, 2019.

1. lakeview

lakeview XS650 Guru XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Thanks to all!
    And I will be referring to MM's build saga.

2. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

...and I can assist with cross border shipping.
    Keep me posted.

Pete

PS - If you need it, I have a ‘76 front fender - not sure if it is the same as a ‘73 but it’s yours if you’d like it Lakeview.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    gggGary, lakeview and Jim like this.
  3. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Not to take you for granted Pete, but that was my plan. :D

gggGary and MaxPete like this.
  4. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

5. lakeview

20191130_200631-1.jpg
    All Thread Pressure
    Tapered races are now set in the steering head; lower bearing is installed on the triple. Goes alot better if if you do one race at a time. Freeze them, pay attention to what yer doing and keep them square and it goes smooth and logical.
    Tomorrow the frame will get a set of place keeper forks and roller wheels so it will look more like a motorcycle and be handier for garage tetris.
    Forks have to be gone through and totally rebuilt. A new set of fork tubes came in the boxes. Also plan to respoke the wheels this winter.

59Tebo, gggGary, Team Junk and 3 others like this.
  6. Superjet

Superjet XS650 Junkie XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Is that a cheap man’s press with rods, nuts and fender washers lakeview? If it is I guess would go in smooth and straight. JC

gggGary, Mailman, Jim and 1 other person like this.
  7. MaxPete

looks really good Lakeview - you’re making great progress!

Mailman and Jim like this.
  8. lakeview

The threaded rod acted more as a stabilizer for the old races which I used to tap in the new one.

Jim, Mailman, MaxPete and 3 others like this.
  9. Superjet

Superjet XS650 Junkie XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I like that idea and will use that when time comes to swap out.Thanks!

Jim, Mailman, MaxPete and 2 others like this.
  10. MaxPete

Indeed - it is a lot more gentle than just wailing away with a mallet and the chances of the parts getting cocked in the bore is much reduced.

Jim, Superjet and Mailman like this.
  11. lakeview

20191201_175951-1.jpg
    It's a Roller!
    Battery box on, centre stand, side stand, forks, wheels - all came together nicely this afternoon without too much heavy lifting or deep thought.
    The latter will have to be used to fab a repair if this broken fender mount, however. May take a couple days off this one to go back at the once-rusty '78 Special. I need to fix the starter spring on that one to make it ready for market.

Attached Files:

12. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Looking good Angus! What exactly is the photo in the attached file?

13. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Ooh I got THAT one :laugh2:
    Rear loop, RH bracket is cracked in two. Why is it always the RH that cracks?

Attached Files:

MaxPete, Mailman and Jim like this.
  14. lakeview

Rear fender brace/bracket/loop.

MaxPete, Mailman and Jim like this.
  15. lakeview

And the left corner of the licence plate.....

16. Mailman

Hmmm.... I must’ve been lucky.

MaxPete and Jim like this.
  17. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

$5 says Bob went out and checked his for cracks. :lmao:

18. Mailman

Not yet, but.......:unsure:

gggGary and GLJ like this.
  19. MaxPete

....and then cleaned and polished it. :lmao:

20. lakeview

20191205_183015-1.jpg
    Hoarding Pays (but it's messy)
    The '73 came to me quite complete except for the sidestand which had been poorly recreated from what looked like a piece of porch railing wrought iron. Cndn Mike's stock that so I bought one and installed it. It's a bit stiff, but I will fettle it later.
    Today I was looking for the decompression lever/starter switch and could not find it in any of the boxes. I knew I had one from a batch of leftovers I bought several years ago.
    In the course of my search, I came across 3 sidestands, 3 silver tach cables, 2 sets of silver throtthe cables and a twist grip. An OEM silver clutch cable in the factory packing, and the complete decompression lever/switch.
    Thinking now whether I should get some silver paint on the new Mike's harness.
    Started on the carbs that came with it; one float bowl came off with several taps, the other is withstanding my reasoned efforts - I dribbled a bit of penetrating oil along the seam to see if that dissolves some of the seal.

GLJ, MaxPete, Mailman and 2 others like this.