1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

1973 TX 650 Rebuild

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lakeview, Nov 20, 2019.

1. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

You’re getting there Lakeview - really looking forward to this one.

BTW - I rode Lucille to the CVMG Christmas Dinner tonight. There were three bikes there (she was the oldest) - and it was rather “fresh” but quite nice.

Pete

timbeck, Jim, Mailman and 1 other person like this.
  2. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Wow you guys hold Christmas a month early too?

lakeview, Jim, MaxPete and 1 other person like this.
  3. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Just the dinners Gary. Christmas, as well as Thanksgiving, is right on time up here.

hehehehe.

gggGary, Superjet and Jim like this.
  4. lakeview

lakeview XS650 Guru XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

20191207_142139-1.jpg
    I Was Warned
    PO told me that a bolt had sheared off during reassembly. At least it is nicely accessible. A job for a left twist drill, in my mind, but first I am going to get some gentle heat on it with the heat gun and cool it with penetrating fluid over a couple cycles to hopefully loosen it some.

Mailman, GLJ and Jim like this.
  5. gggGary

If it's not too deep you might be able to slot it with a dremel cut off wheel and turn it out with a screwdriver.

Mailman and Jim like this.
  6. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Yeah... what Gary sez. I've also got 'em out by gently tapping into it with a small chisel 'till it gives enough purchase to screw it out.

Mailman and gggGary like this.
  7. lakeview

20191207_163252-1.jpg
    Predator Yawn
    A little heat from the hair dryer got the carb to open up. Pretty horrible looking and stinky too. I have a couple older raised floor style carbs that may replace this mess. Will just have to research to make sure they are correct.

gggGary, Mailman and Jim like this.
  8. gggGary

That looks um, interesting.

Jim and Mailman like this.
  9. Superjet

Superjet XS650 Junkie XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Been sittin for a while eh lakeview?!? Man gonna be interesting to see how long those will clean up! JC

gggGary and Jim like this.
  10. Team Junk

Team Junk XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter

I thought mine were rough.

gggGary likes this.
  11. lakeview

20191208_163559-1.jpg
    Not E-Z Out, But Easy Does It.
    Lucky the way it turned out, I got a drill started almost exactly centred on the broken bolt and was able to drill down to the end of it. No way was any extractor going to touch what was left of it, so I redrilled it with a 13/64th bit and tapped it back to original size.
    Did not even have to "adjust" the hole in the cover.
    Looks like the PO had used bolts that were long enough to almost bottom and one of them had a short hole or crud in the bottom and it broke off. I used three shorter socket head bolts in the top row and added washers to the hex heads in the bottom row.

GLJ, gggGary, Mailman and 2 others like this.
  12. lakeview

20191208_180051-1.jpg
    On the Bench
    Next to do is to check all the engine mount bolts, finish the top mount, check clearances, add rear brake components and then hang the harness on it.

GLJ, gggGary, Mailman and 1 other person like this.
  13. lakeview

20191225_153418.jpg
    Spare Set Looks Decent
    Original carbs look beyond help, so I looked in the shed and found this pair. (Also two pairs of earlier XS1 carbs with the metal linked carbs which I put on Kijiji)
    This picture is as taken apart, all the brass looks right, so tomorrow will get the ultrasound going.

14. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Angus, what are your plans for this bike? Have you thought about whether you plan to keep it ?

15. lakeview

Probably will be a keeper; paint job is a big investment.

gggGary, Mailman and Jim like this.
  16. Mailman

Yeah, I can attest to that. A BIG PART of my budget was paint.

17. lakeview

And tires, rims, spokes, probably exhaust, instruments - glad it's a beaut color.

gggGary, Machine, Jim and 1 other person like this.
  18. GLJ

GLJ If you can't laugh at youself you shouldn't laugh Top Contributor

If I remember right you threw your budget out the window when you got to paint

19. GLJ

GLJ If you can't laugh at youself you shouldn't laugh Top Contributor

Paint however you want it makes or breaks a bike in your eyes.

gggGary, lakeview, Jim and 1 other person like this.
  20. Mailman

Thats exactly right. Once I committed to repainting all the tins and realized what it was going to cost, I decided to go the distance on the resto. I will say that I did not go as far as some have. Nothing was rechromed, the exhaust, wheels, spokes and fenders, instruments and lights are all original , just shined up, imperfections and all.