1973 xs650 clutch/kickstarter problem.

avmagneticz

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I'm just finishing my build, I kicked the bike successfully 2 weeks ago, with the chain and left side cover off the engine. Everything was fine.
I had the bike at my friends shop. He was helping me. So he put the chain on and the cover on and said he adjusted the clutch.
I go back to see him he says the kickstarter is jamming now out of nowhere. It's getting stuck halfway down.
The engine spins freely it's not seized or anything.
Fast forward to last night, I have the bike in my possession now. I took the left cover off to see what's happening. Removed the kick starter, everything seems fine. Reinstalled it. Then removed the clutch discs to find a few of them broken. So I replaced those thinking maybe those were jamming. Put it back together with new clutch springs. Kickstarter moves freely when clutch is pulled in like it should. Bike goes into gear and finds neutral. But when I release the clutch the kickstarter goes down a tiny bit then jam. Stuck.
Tried adjusting the clutch at the worm gear and it either goes to far out and just spins the kickstarter or it grabs and then again jams the kickstarter.
My knowledge with this bike is limited so if anyone has any good ideas feel free to share I'm getting so frustrated and the season is almost over.
Side note when I went to get it back from my friend somehow he had cracked the case on the left side top screw and a small chunk broke off where the thread is. Don't think that should matter. Have no idea how he did it.

cracked the case on the left side top screw and a small chunk broke off where the thread is. Don't think that should matter. Have no idea how he did it.

Above the sprocket? That's not a good thing.

You better take that cover off and look some more.

View attachment 36648

This is usually caused by a stretched chain skipping a tooth on a worn sprocket.

The chain will leave those two tell-tale marks on the bottom of the screw boss.

See this thread http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31244

On the first problem assembly of the kick spacers and spring is a bit tricky, clutch reassmbly has a few gotcha's also you may want to spend some time here.

This is a tough one.
Given what you're reporting, the only area I can think of that could cause this particular combination of symptoms is in the kickstart geartrain.

The kickstarter applies torque thru the kickstart gear, which slides over to engage the 1st gear on the output shaft, which is in constant-mesh engagement with the 1st gear of the mainshaft, which is coupled to the clutch hub.

A few thoughts come to mind here:

The 70-71 tranny and kickstart gears use different tooth counts. Can't intermix parts here.

The 1st gear on the output shaft is retained by a circlip, and the output shaft's lateral position is fixed by the sprocket nut, clamping the shaft against the inside of the final drive bearing. If that 1st gear's position isn't fixed, it may drift under load (kickstarting) and jam into something.

One or more of those 1st gears may have a broken tooth.

Attached are some part lists and pics that may help. Check for intermixing of kickstart parts.
Also, go into this 'Tech Bulletins' threads and get the (4) bulletins on 'gearbox spacing'.

Yamaha XS1, XS1B, XS2, TX650 Tech Bulletins, Service Data, Brochures
Yamaha 1974-1979 XS650 Technical Bulletins
256 Engine change chronology

Attachments

• XS650KickstartParts.jpg
    XS650KickstartParts.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 228
  • XS1-GearTrain.jpg
    XS1-GearTrain.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 239
  • 70-72-Transmission01.jpg
    70-72-Transmission01.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 230
Well I kicked the engine over two weeks ago. It was kicking fine. Bike was in neutral and the sprocket for the chain was spinning. But the chain was not installed yet....that didn't seem normal to me
And only thing we changed was attaching the chain
chain

Edited, uploaded it to YouTube now it will work
So here is 2 weeks before my issue. Kicker wasn't getting jammed and started fine. Only difference is now my friend put the chain on (I found it to be to tight) I dunno if that has to do with anything. Also he put the left side cover back on and "adjusted" the clutch. I dont know f there's anything he's not telling me.

Yeah I think there are things he's not telling you..............

crackcase 002.JPG

Inspect, report?

Can you turn the engine with a wrench on the rotor nut?

...2 weeks before my issue. Kicker wasn't getting jammed and started fine. Only difference is now my friend put the chain on (I found it to be to tight) I dunno if that has to do with anything. Also he put the left side cover back on and "adjusted" the clutch...

Okay, try this experiment.

Leave the left cover on, in place, don't disturb the clutch adjustment.
Roll the bike so you can get to the chain's master link.
Remove the master link, and unthread the chain from the engine sprocket.
Try your kickstart routine again...

Okay, try this experiment.

Leave the left cover on, in place, don't disturb the clutch adjustment.
Roll the bike so you can get to the chain's master link.
Remove the master link, and unthread the chain from the engine sprocket.
Try your kickstart routine again...

Yah? Ok I'll try this and get back to you. Thing Is I broke my foot last week. So I can't get around. Bikes at my garage. Have to find a ride.

Ok so small update I was at my shop and I took the chain off and now the kickstarter is going full of the way down. We didn't start it tho I had my friend kicking it and he's got weak legs aha. And me with the broken right foot couldn't do anything.

is the kickstart definitely installed correctly ? its very common for it to be incorrectly installed and tightening the cover back on clamps and jams the kickstart mechanism .
This video might clarify

Back