1973 xs650 shed release

old boy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1973 xs650 that has been in my shed for the last 26yrs. I would appreciate any help on trying to get it running again. I just retired at the age of 65 and have time,tools, and can follow instructions. I have not done anything to try to start it yet, just dont want to try something I'll regret. I know I need some new parts if it runs,but first things first.

I'd welcome you but we gotta see pics first!
what WER sez, that thread covers a lot of it.
Do not attempt to start it until you have lubed the top end and kicked it through a BUNCH to be sure the valves are all moving freely.

It will bankrupt you to restore a TX650 from 73. Don't bother, just send me a message and I'll come haul it away for you, saving you much hassle & money.
Well, my '70 cost less than a new bike and I got the emotional advantage of restoration and bringing my old bike back.
IMG_6911.JPG

Well, my '70 cost less than a new bike and I got the emotional advantage of restoration and bringing my old bike back.View attachment 101226
Wrenchjohns I'm sure you are bored now that it's complete and running. Tell you what as a favor I'll trade you that for a 70 that wants and needs your love and attention and you will get the joy of bringing another to life.

If you stored it properly, you shouldn't have too many problems bringing it "back to life". If you put it away "wet" (gas in the carbs and tank), it could be fucked. After all that time, you could need a new gas tank and new carbs. There's no saving some stuff if it's been let go too long. But, let's hope for the best.

If you stored it properly, you shouldn't have too many problems bringing it "back to life". If you put it away "wet" (gas in the carbs and tank), it could be fucked. After all that time, you could need a new gas tank and new carbs. There's no saving some stuff if it's been let go too long. But, let's hope for the best.
Can't remember that far back, but probably didn't do the right thing.

Yeah they ARE pretty tough. I got a 79 that was "abandoned" in a barn in about 81 sat untouched til 2014 It had no title so I pulled the motor, stuck it in a different bike, did basic maintenance, oil, filters, valve and cam set, head stud retorque, carb overhaul. I have put 5K miles on it in the last two years. It's not babied either. Runs like a Swiss watch, well it is an XS650 it's not THAT smooth. Most barn bikes come back to life with little more than a thorough clean up and maintenance. I've fired up and run at least 20 XS650 barn bikes, most have had a ten year or more lay up. Few had had decent maintenance in their past lives.
Most common "needs engine work" problems are hardened, cracked valve seals or rust in the top end, that's usually bikes that sat out exposed to weather.

What's dmac rules?
Can't find an article to link you to right now. Long story short, it had to do with the onboard computers on vehicles and the government's (or hackers) ability to shut a vehicle down with wireless technology. Since the XS has no computer. . . . . It is just a comment on the XS's pre-regulation age.

He could be effed? Then I have something to look forward to.I havent had any lovin for a long time.

Back