1975 xs650b Left Hand Controls - where to get replacement? Will 77 work?

estcstm3

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am changing out my bars, M/C, Clutch perch.. etc. On the 1975 model all of the electrical were run through the handlebars, I finally got the electrical pulled out of the handlebars (PIA). My left hand controls are pretty rough is there somewhere I can buy replacements? I see that Mikes XS has a set for the 1977 and greater, but nothing for my year. Does anybody know if they will work, or whats different?

Thanks again!

Right Hand Controls - http://www.mikesxs.net/product/24-9054.html

Left hand controls - Will these work? http://www.mikesxs.net/product/24-2058.html

Anybody? I'm sure somebody with one of the older years has changed out their bars?

1) Did you replace the left hand controls if so from where?
2) Did you notch/file out the oem controls to allow the cable to route down the handlebars?
3) Did you drill out the new bars and snake through new handlebars?

I think the only difference between the 75 and later was the 75 with running the wires inside the bars don't have a notch cut in the housings to allow the wires to run along the bars.
Both of the sets you link to should work fine on your 75.
Leo

I've been pondering the same question for the Left Handle Bar Controls for my '76C's.

I've asked MikesXS about stocking this part for earlier years than '77's, but got no reply.

I've seen OEM 1H7-83973-10-98 for sale on eBay, but they want $100. Prices appear to range up to $130.00 for this same part on eBay....

Partzilla.com lists this PN as being for a 1976, so I assume it's a valid # like the one in my attached image and perhaps for 584-83973-00-00 as well. Though all of these OEM part numbers I'm throwing out are listed as Obsolete, I find it useful and at times fruitful to include the OEM #'s in eBay searches.

Leo, Do you reckon MikesXS left hand controls will also work for a 1976? You may have already answered my question with your reply since 76 is later than 75....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 140
I think the only difference between the 75 and later was the 75 with running the wires inside the bars don't have a notch cut in the housings to allow the wires to run along the bars.
Both of the sets you link to should work fine on your 75.
Leo

Thanks XSLeo. Do you happen to know if the 77 left hand controls are already notched to allow the cables to run along the bars?

I know mikesxs indicated for the right hand controls that the body comes notched.

Thanks again!

Im at the point in the process where I am trying to decide if it makes more sense for me to drill out the bars and snake the electric, or buy new controls and run them down the bars.....

From looking At the pics in the parts fiches at boats.net the 74-75 used inside wires, the 76 up appear to use outside wires. I assume the 77 has the notch.
Adding the notch for the wires to run out along the bars is no big thing, a bit of careful filing with a round file the same size as the wire bundle.
Leo

Sounds easy enough, Leo.

So no differences in the wiring connections to be made in the headlamp shell, I assume?

They did change a few of the wire colors over the years, They used a brown wire to the engine stop switch on some years, other used a red/white wire. Some may have an extra black wire for grounding the housing.
As far as the way they plug into the harness I think they all are the same, If not swapping the wires to your old plugs is not a hard task. Depress the lock, slip the wires out, reinstall.
Leo

Back