1977 xs650 speedometer??

Tyler fogarasi

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I just baught a 1977 xs650 nice bike but it donesent have a speedometer and I need to put one on it. Can anyone help me with this and tell me how it hooks up or show me some pics any help is appreciated!!

Scroll down to the middle of Post #2. 3 pics shows the back of a gauge bolted to the gauge bracket, and how they bolt to the cup. The cables go into the bucket this should just be a Back, (B), and Blue, (L),. The Blue Black wires are probably bullet connectors, black to any black 3 way female bullet connector and Blue to a matching blue female bullet connector, proberbly a double female bullet connector.................Not sure what year, but some of the later 76-78 Speedo's have a Signal canceler built into the gauge. This has a Black and White/Green wire. No need to hook these up.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/70-83-...damper-replacement-replace-face-decals.52013/

Post #2 has a bit more detail
http://www.xs650.com/threads/speedo-access-to-bulb.42738/#post-426644

Any Speedo from 76-83 will bolt straight into your gauge bracket. Speedo's 76-78 Standards are basically the same and will match your Rev counter
76, second pic is a 76 on my 80 Special.......................................77D...............................................78E
2z1 76C 1 2.jpg 2z 76XSC-79SF.JPG3a 77 gauges.JPG4 78E.JPG

Speedo's changed faces from 78Specials, (not 78 Standard) and 79Specials then in 80 they went to a 50MPH max
79 Standard...............................78/79Specials..............................80-83 Specials

6 79 F.jpg 5 78SE -79SF Special.JPG 7 80SG-81SH-82J-83K XS650.jpg

80SG bucket showing the wiring. Note the Blue, (L), wires in the center and how they connect to a double Bullet connector. These are from the gauges and are the Gauge lights.
DSCF7015 3.jpg

Last edited:
Thought the Gauge bracket was on the bike and all that was needed was a Speedo to bolt to it...........

Here is a Parts diagram
XS77D Canada Parts manual  110 Gauges.jpgXS77D Canada Parts manual  111.jpg XS77D Canada Parts manual  113.jpg

Maybe you need to be more specific and clarify why the information given can't be understood...........

Last edited:
Here is a Gauge bracket half bolted to the crown off the top of the triple tree.................Triple tree is what the forks slide through and the shaft of the triple tree slides up the neck and the crown goes over the top and bolts the front end to the frame.
P1000550.JPGXS77D Canada Parts manual  086.jpg XS77D Canada Parts manual  087.jpg

Thank you but where does it hook up to the bike?

Hi Tyler and welcome,
refer to Skull's parts diagram in post #4.
Item #32 is the flex drive cable that connects to the speedo and turns it.
The cable's bottom end should connect to the worm drive unit that's located on the front wheel's axle
between the left side of the wheel hub and the left side fork leg.

fred you might be right..............Where does the speedometer cable hook up to the bike...not speedo......Could have swarm the OP asked abut how to fit a speedo to the bike as it was missing....lol........

Last edited:
Scroll down to the middle of Post #2. 3 pics shows the back of a gauge bolted to the gauge bracket, and how they bolt to the cup. The cables go into the bucket this should just be a Back, (B), and Blue, (L),. The Blue Black wires are probably bullet connectors, black to any black 3 way female bullet connector and Blue to a matching blue female bullet connector, proberbly a double female bullet connector.................Not sure what year, but some of the later 76-78 Speedo's have a Signal canceler built into the gauge. This has a Black and White/Green wire. No need to hook these up.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/70-83-...damper-replacement-replace-face-decals.52013/

Post #2 has a bit more detail
http://www.xs650.com/threads/speedo-access-to-bulb.42738/#post-426644

Any Speedo from 76-83 will bolt straight into your gauge bracket. Speedo's 76-78 Standards are basically the same and will match your Rev counter
76, second pic is a 76 on my 80 Special.......................................77D...............................................78E
View attachment 126298 View attachment 126299View attachment 126300View attachment 126301

Speedo's changed faces from 78Specials, (not 78 Standard) and 79Specials then in 80 they went to a 50MPH max
79 Standard...............................78/79Specials..............................80-83 Specials

View attachment 126302 View attachment 126303 View attachment 126304

80SG bucket showing the wiring. Note the Blue, (L), wires in the center and how they connect to a double Bullet connector. These are from the gauges and are the Gauge lights.
View attachment 126306

G'day Doug,

You sure do have your shit in one sock when it comes to this sort of stuff.......I know some of your cable routing schematics and what went where in the headlight bucket sure helped me.

We certainly do have a wealth of knowledge on this site and people are not backward in coming forward to assist others.

GW

Back