Wanted - 1978 XS650E Standard

Skull........what you're doing should be ILLEGAL!!!!! :)

That 1978 in Black is what I'm looking for. That said......Gary's 1979 in Blue would be VERY hard to beat.

Beautiful machines........stuff dreams are made of.

Lusting in NC.......Gordon (who KNOWS it's out there somewhere....I just gota find it)

I've got a green '78 in the garage. But while it's all original, it's a project. It hasn't been run in ten years plus I doubt you want to deal with the distance between us.

Skull........what you're doing should be ILLEGAL!!!!! :)

That 1978 in Black is what I'm looking for. That said......Gary's 1979 in Blue would be VERY hard to beat.

Beautiful machines........stuff dreams are made of.

Lusting in NC.......Gordon (who KNOWS it's out there somewhere....I just gota find it)

Picked up both of these bikes via this forum in last 6 months.
They are out there, keep lookin....
XS650Ricks.JPG

79STD.jpg

2005_0509_054551AA.JPG

The above is a 1200 mile example of a '79. The gold stripes are different than the '78.

Gordon,
Why not a '77? They are for more plentiful. Once the Special came on the scene in '78, that's what most of the bikes were. When I was a kid, all the kids wanted a Stingray with little wheels and a banana seat. I had an English bike. You want that English bike in the sea of Stingrays.

<snip>

Gordon,
Why not a '77? They are for more plentiful. Once the Special came on the scene in '78, that's what most of the bikes were. When I was a kid, all the kids wanted a Stingray with little wheels and a banana seat. I had an English bike. You want that English bike in the sea of Stingrays.

Roco.......nice catches....I'm envious.

Marty, my friend. Yep....when I was a kid I had one of those "English Racers" too. A three speed and rode the wheels off of it. I was able to make the 20 mile round trip ( St Marks River Bridge on Hwy 98 in Northern Florida in the early 60s) to the swimming hole and my friends on their wheelie friendly Stingrays had to settle for hanging around the neighborhood. Now I got a shop full of British motorcycles......mostly oddballs from what my bike friends ride. Sometimes things don't change much. I have my heart set on a nice '78.....and part of it could be because there's not that many of them around. You've been around me.....I'm a bit of a oddball myself.

See ya at the Dogwood Rally......your friend in NC Gordon

I've got a green '78 in the garage. But while it's all original, it's a project. It hasn't been run in ten years plus I doubt you want to deal with the distance between us.

Nebraska isn't too far away, but I really don't want another project. I purchased a little 250 a few months back that at the time I considered it "mostly done"......well as it turned out I've been throwing money and time into it for months......replacing the wiring harness this weekend....and hopefully THAT will be the end of it. But I'm not going to bet on it.

$500 motorcycles turn in to $2500 motorcycles in no time. This time around I want one somebody else has put the time and energy into and I won't mind paying for it. You end up paying for it anyway...PLUS all the postage!!!!!

Beautiful day here in NC.........hope your weather is being kind to you too. Gordon in NC

Last edited:
"jetmechmarty, post: 492169, member: 8468"]I almost forgot. I have a '78 E.
0226170821_zpsah0sq5sq.jpg

You probably don't remember but I asked you about this bike at the BIBR ( I was fishing). I wish I had time to take on another project but there's too many in the way now. I'd love to put another XS back on the road and maybe one of these days I'll tackle another....but for the time being the search continues for a bike that's pretty much "done". That said......I know enough about vintage bikes to know you never get to put the wrenches away no matter how "done" it is.

Take care and we'll see ya a TWOS............Gordon

1975 XS650B.......it's ratty but loved just the same.
1975 XS650B Parts Bike.....man oh man I was glad I had that thing to scavenge off of.
A few other bikes.....too many to be honest.

So crack that wallet open and keep peelin till 5twins can't say no. He needs to fix up another anyway.

Cobalt Blue is 79 .. right gggGary ? 78 had only the two color choices. I myself am lusting the green..
You guys looking for a Green 1978 would have been trying to buy the one I was looking at just Saturday! Looked almost 100% stock except the two into one exhaust down the right side. I was told it was owned by a Yamaha dealer near Watkins Glen NY. Was told it was NOT a show bike but his regular rider, just looked like new!

So crack that wallet open and keep peelin till 5twins can't say no. He needs to fix up another anyway.

Wow.......I like the thought of owning something 5twins has sorted.

My guess is......I couldn't afford it.

I'll find one.....probably right after I just dropped coin on another bike and the coffers are empty. But I still have an extra arm and leg.....the kids are grown and left home so I can't sell one of them.

The search continues but in the meantime I have my ratty B model back from my brother so I can get it ready for the Dogwood.

Take care.......Gordon in NC

Bringing this one back to the top. The search continues but in the meantime I've picked up one rolling 1978 Standard that one of the owners that had it wanted a Special instead of a Standard.....what a mess. AND........with TM's and Ralph's help I now own a very nice, mostly complete 1978 Standard in Green.

So the shop is slowly filling up with Stingrays but I'm still looking for that "nice" running 1978 Standard in BLACK and I'm trying to get my pennies stash stocked back up.

A man can NEVER have to many motorcycles......

Thanks in advance for any help locating one.

Gordon in NC

Well.......it looks like the search "might" be over. Had a fellow contact me today and I think we have a deal. It's the right bike for a fair price and from what I can tell it's in pretty good condition. ( they all need a little something to make them yours) We'll know for sure by this Thursday.....thanks to all of you that helped me find these treasures.

Photo's to follow.

BTW......took the 75B out for a spin today. You fellows told me I'd end up loving these bikes....well, you were 100% correct. I had to make myself bring it back and put it up.....I have chores to do and I was having way to much fun.

Life really doesn't get any better.

Gordon in NC

Back