Wanted - 1978 XS650E Standard

Yes TM, I'm feeling pretty good right now. The "Green" one is really a diamond in the rough. I'm trying my best to stay away from it until I have more time but I've messed with it a bit. Cleaning a section here and there and it's in really good shape over all......it's going to be a nice example. The "Black" one I've only seen photos of but I'm picking it up this Thursday. I have a feeling it won't take much ( famous last words) to put it on the road. From the photos it looks like it's going to make a nice example too.

They are only original once and I'm giong to do my best to keep these two that way. Yes....they won't look like they just left the showroom floor.....but neither do I.

BUT.......for those of you that feel left out....here's the deal. I've been looking for awhile now and now that I have spent all my extra "play" money....I'm out of the hunt. The way my luck goes.........there is a WONDERFUL/PERFECT/RUNNING 1978E going to show up for sale in less than a month......at a ROCK BOTTOM price just down the road from me. You can bet on it. So keep your eyes open......it's out there and soon to be available. After a month or so.....all bets are off because I'll have play money again.

Keep your wheels spinning and the women grinning.........if the ladies don't find you handsome at least let them find you handy.

Gordon in NC

PS.....when the "Green" bike was delivered to me (by a friend all the way from Nebraska) he brought it to a Brit Bike event where a lot of my friends were gathered. Some of them helped me unload the XS and one of them asked "How many of these do you have now?" When I answered him........another friend said " Gordon, we think it's time for an intervention!!!" Ahhhhhhhh what do those Brit Bike people know anyway...they're just envious.

Last edited:
Well, for now the search is over. I didn't end up with what I was looking for exactly but I'm okay with what I did come up with.

IMG_1399.jpg

Both of these need work but nothing major and they seem to be mostly complete. I figure I owe it to the hobby to put these back on the road.

IMG_1400.jpg

I haven't even wiped the dust off of this one.......got it a couple of weeks ago and have been forcing myself to leave it alone until some other stuff gets done.

IMG_1397.jpg

Just got this one yesterday and rolled it into the shop this morning. I'll start on it first. Neither of these will be turned into "jewelry" . I plan on keeping them original as possible and used as well sorted runners. If and when I pass them on somebody else can make them pretty.

Not picturesd is the titled 78E roller I got and for now it'll be a spares bike.

Yep, there are still some Stingrays out there among all the English Racers...and soon there will be two more runners to add to the mix.

Thank you to everybody that helped me get these two diamonds in the rough.

OH........that seat on the black one........you want it? I'll pack it up and send it to you....if you like it you can pay for the shipping. Got a 16" rear wheel (complete) off a Heritage Special that's kinda crusty but usable that I'll do the same thing with.

IMG_1395.jpg

Ya'll take care and more photos as these get closer to being on the road.

Gordon in NC

Nice finds Gordon! Well done! A couple more saved.

Will enjoy watching your progress.

Get out that 'little yellow meter' and have at er.

Take care.

You did it ! To bring two home is about a miracle in my book. Telling ya, clear across the USA , over here I cannot find ANY complete like that ! You have friends who will help you complete those watching your XS hobby habit :thumbsup:, "Good things in life, take a long time" -RT

Thanks for the help TM....yea I'm feeling pretty lucky right now.

IMG_1402.jpg

The "Black" one came with what looks like a complete tool kit......complete with big o-ring still holding it in place. Owners manual too.

Robin......yes sir I had the "yellow meter" with me....it's part of the kit now.

Gordon in NC

Back