72 XS2 back from the dead

nuck39

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I bought this XS2 last fall thinking that I would just keep it around for spare parts for my XS2. After tearing into it this winter, plus it came with a current tag & title, I decided to just get it going. First thing was to replace the Head and Base gaskets as they were leaking oil, along with the new rings. Rebuilt the carbs, found a seat to replace the king/queen seat it had on it. Tank had zero rust, petcocks rebuilt to get the fuel flowing.
Rolled it out of the garage this morning and road it about 5 miles. Runs great, and needs new tires?? Bike only has 9500 miles on it.
Sorry I didn't picture document the entire project, most of them are after the motor went back in, as I wasn't thinking that it would turn out this good. Bike is not perfect, the paint is a little faded compared to my other one, but it turned out good enough for now.
Here are a few pics.
When I brought her home.
iPHONEPICS228.jpg

After the motor was put back in
iPHONEPICS244.jpg

After test spin.
iPHONEPICS245.jpg

iPHONEPICS232.jpg

Very nice bike, it's nice to see some of these being restored. I have nothing against trackers, chops, bobs or cafes, I'm building a tracker myself. With the bike I picked up the only reusable stock parts was the engine, frame and wheels, the rest looked like someone put a hammer to it. Lots of rats out there to rebuild, the nice ones should be restored.

Thanks for all the comments. Had to do little more work on this one compared to my other one. Took it to work (25 miles one way) this morning. No issues. Now to get back home.

Hey, another XS2 back to life !! It looks pretty good. :thumbsup: I just noticed something weird, the front caliper is not on the good side of the fork ...

I knew someone here would catch the caliper. The original lowers are on a pair of 6" over fork tubes that came with the bike, haven't had chance to get them off. I think these are RD forks, they are still 34mm tubes, so hopefully I can swap them out. This will get the caliper on the correct side, and the original chrome seal covers on it.

Back