74’ TX650a rear axle question

GavTX650a

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey, I’m putting the rear back to stock so I’ve order parts from e bay.
I have 3 swing arms from 73’ 74 and like 79-80 the axle is 74’ and up so it the longer one as needed the drive chain adjuster LH and RH the RH adjuster has a smaller hole on the washer side so the axle step up won’t go threw as shown in the pic I’m left with like 1 inch or so sticking out

thx for the help
04968272-8900-410E-A95F-2FFC2EECF08D.jpeg

Ok fair enough but.... that doesn’t make the axle shaft go threw onE of the adjusters all the way That’s my question

It seems even simpler than it is. I've tried to install the axle in a manner that the nut would be on the right, matching the front. You will find the adjuster plate has one hole larger than the other. The small diameter hole does fit the thread major and not the axle diameter. I've even noticed that "backwards" the chain adjustment scale is upside down ,not visible, on one of the adjusters :umm:

I'm going to guess that the swingarm in your pic is a '73 or older one, and the axle is '74 or newer. That older swingarm uses a shorter axle. That spacer on the right will also be thinner.

Well, then maybe the axle is wrong? Maybe it's not from a 650? All I have are '74 and newer axles but I could measure the length on one of them for you if you'd like.

OK, I've got about 10 3/4" or 273mm from just under the head to the very end .....

full

full

Thank you! I’m just up in camp working for a few days I’ll check when I get back and let you know how I made out!

In your pic I think the axle adjusters are from the 73.
The 74 up there is a thick washer built onto the outside of the axle adjuster. With these two extra thick adjusters is why the axle is longer..
As far as which way the axle goes throyugh the swingarm doesn't matter much. You can swap the adjusters left to right.
I have found that some of the adjusters that have the small hole on the outside have the mark for ajusting the chain tension only one one edge. These adjusters need to go on the right side so you can see the mark.
Leo

Last edited:
Even if he was missing the washers attached to the chain adjusters (which he's not, I see them in his pic), adding them isn't going to be enough to take up the extra inch or so of axle he's got.

Got another measurement that may be helpful to you. This is the width of a '74 and later swingarm, inside to inside where the axle fits through. It's about 8.5" .....

oR0AzG8.jpg

yh9Fv3y.jpg

Back