79 xs650 Special - No Spark... But 12v. help?

Take more care with this set please. These are not an unlimited resource. Datt all izz NOT bullshit, really dude. Some day (soon), the limited supply will be gone.

Roger that 5Twins.but honestly I don't think it was lack of care that caused the tube to brake on the original set of carbs.........the break was right where there is a hole, and I do believe there was some weakness there caused by corrosion. But I will be careful both with my repaired set and the new ones too. Thanks for all your efforts to keep the XS alive and to help those interested in the bike.

In any case, luckily, there seems to be a good supply of the Mikuni VM 34mm for Carburetor ( new ) which seems to work too.......in case I mess up again...:)

Last edited:
The new set of cars, which are BS 38's like the ones that came on the bike have a few orifices that the others do not. Here is a pix of what I am talking about. I didn't notice anything about these differences in the carb guide, but the info may be there as i am not a very good fast reader anymore. Thought you guys might be able to tell me what they are since they did not come with a bike attached.

I don't know how to deal with these barbs when I try these carbs on the bike. Do they need to be plugged like the vacuum barb on the intake manifold? The items in question are circled in red. Thanks as always. I am in the middle of rebuilding these carbs, bought a carb rebuild kit from Mike....hopefully I will not brake anything in the process this time! I think it will be interesting to try these new carbs on the bike and see if that 2000 RPM idle issue is any different. Thanks as always.......

carbs_zps2aa1c6c7.jpg

The upper are float bowl vents. The long used to be clear tubes help keep crud out.
The lower are float bowl over flows. Long hoses ran from them to below and the rear of the engine so any gas over flow would fall on the ground.
Leo

So, I rebuilt the "new" carbs.........almost "new" everything....jets, choke plungers, gaskets etc. from Mikes ......put 'em on the bike......had trials and tribulations because I changed the wire going to the points too...........but FINALLY......I THINK it is sorted out..........nice 1200 RPM idle, good throttle response.....running on BOTH cylinders....check out the neat UNI pods! ...I'll run it one more time and then I will take the motor out and start the fun stuff........cleaning, painting and turning the old beast into "something else" :D :D

the video is here........

http://s271.photobucket.com/user/pa...osts/newcarbstart-iPhone_zps3ab81d01.mp4.html

THANK YOU one and all for your advice, assistance, AND support!

The last pix of the old girl before I take 'er apart again and clean up the rest of the frame, paint various pars, buy new stuff, rebuild the brakes, investigate the condition of the suspension, etc. etc. As of now, idle is good at about 1200 RPM. Throttle advance seems good, and both cylinders are firing. I'm sure other issues will creep up. but till them.......

IMG_4966_zps1c0dd26c.jpg

Thanks one and all for all your help thus far, could NOT have done it with out you guys!

SLOWLY.......beginning to clean, paint, and rebuild the 650.......here's a pix of the cleaned and painted rims waiting for new hoops. The color scheme is going to be chrome yellow (otherwise known as "school bus yellow"....LOL ) on black

IMG_5140_zpsb2e3a346.jpg

Well, it's been a long time since I've had time to work on the bike or post on the board.....I had a chance to work on the bike today. The task was to cut the tail section of the upper frame and after cutting to the proper angle flipping it upside down so it fits under the back of the cafe racer seat and then welding it back on.

I used Lincoln welder borrowed from a friend. First welding I've done in over 40 years, ( I always preferred oxy /acetylene) but after a little practice, it was all good ( YEAH YA HAVE TO PULL THE TRIGGER or ya don't get an arc! )

The welds were ugly, but I think they are strong enough for my purpose. PS I bought a "self darkening" welding helmet at Harbor Freight that allows one to see exactly where that tiny welding wire is above the work surface.......Made the process SO MUCH EASIER!!!

IMG_5825_zps9f6604fe.jpg

IMG_5828_zps019ef491.jpg

IMG_5830_zps926613f3.jpg

Well, It's been almost two years, but here is the result.......NEVER could have done it without the help of generous people on this board.THANKS!!

IMG_6497_zpsntkfnlla.jpg

My old XS is 99% OK............just one or two issues to resolve tweeking mostly.....

1) plugs are a perfect color, but she starts "breaking up" at about 5.5K RPM.....
2) some backfiring from the right cylinder when I ease off the throttle
3) idle is a bit high 1500 or so

There ya have it......Thanks everyone for your advice and support.

Back