81 XS no points or electronic ignition! Need parts!

It's a matter of cost and availability and quality. There are at least a hundred of the Honda coils on ebay. It was used on lots of models. And it's an oem part made in Japan.

I guess the "quality" question comes into mind, not because of the maker or that it's oem, but that it's crossing from a Honda 450 to a Yamaha 650. I guess what I'm asking is - does that matter?

If not. If it will perform the same a the intended "stock" coil, then yeah, I'll go for the cheaper option. But does anyone know for sure? Has more than one person used this Honda coil and had success?

Thanks everyone! I believe the coil is the last part that I need to make the transformation and get the bike started. So swift feedback on this topic would be appreciated as the auction for that item is coming to a close.

Thanks again - great forum, great people :)

$40 plus $11 shipping is no deal, lol. I bought brand new aftermarket coils for less than that.

I got mine on ebay for around $20 including shipping. Sometimes you see a pair for $30 or something. I reiterate; get one with the screw caps included.

As for who uses it, myself and my homie who goes by Purplezinger here.

Here's a thread. Start 3rd msg down. Lots of people are using various non-Yamaha coils. Using Honda parts on a Yamaha wouldn't be an issue. Using Harley parts might make it uppity though.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20452

Yes, a coil is a coil. The brand or what other bike it came from aren't important, you just need to match it's primary rating to what your ignition uses. I'm not sure what the stock Yamaha TCI coil is rated at but find out and you'll be armed with the info you need to go shopping for a different replacement. I run a 2.8 ohm Andrews with my Pamco. Before that, I ran a 4.2 ohm Accel with my points. Both were purchased new off eBay for between $15 and $25.

The stock TCI calls for a coil with 2.5 ohms on the primary. So most any coil with around 2 to 3 should work ok. the closer to the required spec the better.
The lower ohm primary will draw more current. And if too ,low can draw enough current to burn out the transistor in the TCI. A higher ohms draws less current so that should be fine.
The only thing is the lower the current through the coil it's output will be lower. Most modern coils have a much higher output than the stock coils so a slight loss of output will still be much better than stock.
Leo

Converting your 78 harness to except the 81 ignition and charging system isn't hard to do.
The ignition may be the easy part. You need a few things to make it work. The 80 up bikes all used the TCI, some used a 6 wire TCI box, some a 7 wire TCI box. Either will work. So to list the parts,
TCI box
Stator
Rotor
Coil.
The stator for an 80 up will have the pick ups mounted on it. The pick up will be the black oval thing on the stator. It has a wire bundle coming out with the other stator wire bundle. This bundle has 3 wires. These wires hook to the TCI box with a 3 wire plug.
The TCI box has connections to hook a coil to. The points used two single coils, the TCI used one coil with two outputs.
Once you get these things hooked together you need to run a wire to both the TCI box and coil from the red/white wire that on the 78 harness sent power to the coils. It has a two place connector, use one place for the TCI box, the other for the coil.
If the TCI box you get has 7 wires, the extra wire is a black/white wire and hooked to the side stand relay so if you put the bike in gear with the side stand down the engine will quit. Cap this extra wire off. It won't be used.
See easy right.
Now on the charging system. The wire bundle coming up from the stator has 3 white wires, a green, a brown, and yellow, The blue one isn't for the charging but the neutral light. The yellow goes to the safety relay.
With the 80 up reg/rec it has 3 whites, a green, a brown, a red, a black. To hook this to the stator,
Reg/rec------------------stator
3 whites-----------------3 whites
Green--------------------green
Brown-------------------brown
Red----------------------battery +
black---------------------battery -
Once you hook the two browns, one from each the reg/rec and stator, you need to run a brown wire from the connection to power after the switch.
If you study a few diagrams you will see how this is done. I'll post up a good one that you can use. It has the basic points and separate reg and rec with upgrades in boxes. Just swap boxes to match what you have.
I'll post pics to show you a few of the parts. A 80 up reg/rec, A TCI unit, and a pic of a stator with the pickup on it.
Leo

Great Info! Thanx for the help!

I have a 1982 engine with a 1978 bike, engine DOA,wires were chopped at the head by a previous "builder". I have a new Mike's XS correct wiring harness with extra used accessories plugged in to it from a previous eBay seller. I just got the correct Yamaha XS650 TCI , regulator (from same bike that engine came from) and 1982 ignition coils all for a decent price.

Back