All Balls Tapered head bearings kit

After getting my old steering head bearings out, I ground down the outer diameter (of the old bearings) on my belt sander until they would just slip in and out by hand.
Then used these to install my new all-ball bearings. Less chance of damage to the new bearings.

The "slot or notch" is cut, just in the ridge that stops the race, not the whole bottom of the neck. the slot allows a drift and hammer from the top to tap the race away from the seat. A chainsaw sharpening stone in a dremel tool works well to make the notch.

Thanks Gary,

We're talking the same thing here. My "holes" versus your ground slots. I like the Dremel tool slots better. It was this picture earlier in this thread that raised my question:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=14052&d=1328042405

The actual cut slots are not very long. They are cut just long enough so that a drift can be angled across the length of the headstock. I don't see how holes would give you much of an angle to tap out the bearing. Holes could also allow water/moisture to enter the bearings.

I've got it now!

Your picture makes it look like you slotted from the ridge to the bottom ... obviously not a good idea.

Thanks!

good info here. i have the mikes xs bearings. now i know to notch the neck.

now where do i get the dust cover for the bottom.? is it possible to reuse the stock one?

You should be able to reuse the stock seal if you didn't get one. Slip it off over the bottom race before removing the race so you don't damage it. A hair dryer will help make it pliable.

dont cut holes in your neck. if you need to remove the races you take a welder and rip a quick bead around the face of the race, the weld shrinks up and the race will literally fall out, i do this all the time with wheelbearing races and the like

dont cut holes in your neck. if you need to remove the races you take a welder and rip a quick bead around the face of the race, the weld shrinks up and the race will literally fall out, i do this all the time with wheelbearing races and the like

This is 100% true. I had a front wheel bearing in a different bike disintegrate. It was a sealed ball bearing. The outer race was impossible to remove. I welded a bead inside the bearing race. Like he said........it fell out!

If you want/need to reuse the tapered bearing race a pair of 5/16" holes drilled in the neck do work quite well, then a punch through the holes taps out the race. I have pics of this somewhere on here.

I can't picture how this works? Are the holes through the side of the neck? How can you drive up or down on a race through side holes?

I installed these tapered bearings in my 73 and have found that the headlight "ears" now have about 1/16- 1/8" of vertical slop now. I have all the original chrome spacers and rubber bushings in place but it looks like the new bearings dont allow the upper triple clamp to seat fully? Others had this problem, if so how was it cured? I was thinking about an o-ring or correct diameter washer for the fork size to take up the slop.
Hi!!
Did you solve this problem? I'm not about to say you installed them wrong... as i am experiencing the same issue just now on XS2. :)

I've had this issue in GT750 / GT550. That list experts were adamant that it was installed wrong. I found that the GT750 taper bearing kits were thicker than ball/race and as a result the Triples were spaced 3mm sloppy.. i found that grinding the stem collar down 3mm lower allowed the bearing to still where the ball/race versions did and the triples spacing was right for the fork ears.. I posted i and finally people some members accepted it ..( That , like life, not all Bearing sets are created equal) rather than add rubber spacers. I've done a number of GT bearings and needed that fix/trick

BUT in this XS2 case the bearing kits seem to have the same thickness as the ball / race ones. They are from a 650 top supplier. I've studied the forum.. noted how the shell sticks up... understand all that but haven't put my finger on it yet.. I'm chasing 3mm to get a good triple space
.. Bikes down at the shop so i have to go have another study. I'll report back but keen to know what your issue was .. cheers Chris

From post #6, Goran's dimensional chart:

GoranSteeringBearingsXS650.jpg

Back