Another overpriced XS650 on craigslist

Cafe is not the only misused term. View attachment 21[/IMG][/ATTACH]667[/ATTACH]

red bike 1980 004.JPGBobber, Chopper and tracker all get misused.
When the term bobber first was used it meant that you removed anything that didn't help the bike go fast or stop. You removed or "bobbed" fenders and such. No frame mods.
A chopper was when you cut the frame to do mods.
So when most "bob" an XS650 by cutting off the frame and adding a hardtail, it shouldn't be called a bobber but a chopper.
Trackers are track bikes, whether they get usedView attachment 21664

View attachment 21665 on the dirt or pavement. These bikes had many mods to increase speed and handling. Not many work well on the street but many copy the style.
I guess that can be said about most styles, just copies of something else.
Leo

So what exactly is over priced ? Just because we hunt these bikes down and find them at good prices, and then throw a few bucks into them to get them running and then clean them up . Should we not make a few bucks on a bike that seems to be a hot item right now ? I have done a few of these now,and just listed one on ebay that I'm gonna try to flip with without doing any mods at all just a batt. to see what happens let me know what you think its worth. I'm a big boy so you won't hurt my feelings just curious is it worth what a stock honda is

Attachments

• red bike 1980 008.JPG
    red bike 1980 008.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 241
It's worth what someone is willing to pay. The same goes for anything. That's why when a part or bike says Harley on it it cost so much, because people are willing to pay the price.
If fewer people refuse to pay the price the price comes down.
On these old bikes it depneds on where your at as well as how many are around.
On the 81 I have I'd like to get $1000 but will probably get less, It's not nearly as nice as yours, The chrome is rough, paint is not that great.
Leo

cliff604
If the whole bike(the red one?) is as clean as the right side appears to be I would expect to see a $1200-1400 asking price in my area.
I don't know if it would bring it but that is what I see them advertised for.

If it runs as good as it looks, 1500 minimum all day every day here in the 'Burg. Huge demand for 'em to build customs.

Um,that's exactly what a cafe racer is. "Cafe racer" is a derogatory term coined by actual racers. Only the guys they were making fun of didn't get it so the term became cool. How many of these bikes will actually see a track? If you strip a bike down, hop up the motor, then compete against other motorcycles on a race track then you just call it a race bike.

Good call. It's only recently that the term "Cafe racer" became a cool description for a style of street bike. As you mentioned, back in the day it was definitely a put-down. I guess nowadays the terms "cafe racer" and "street tracker" are on the same, sort of low step on the "coolness" ladder, since both styles talk the talk, but can't walk the walk. "Track-day" bikes that left street-legal are a few steps up that ladder, since they can actually do what they look like they can do. And the very top rung of the ladder is reserved for ex-race bikes that have been made - barely - street legal. The best example of this one was in Santa Cruz a few years ago; ... an actual, real, legitimate H-D XR 750 with race silencers, a headlight, taillight and a license plate. The number plates had been removed, but that's it. I would have killed to own that puppy.

It`s Magic!! And believe me I know magic when I see it?

Last edited:
For 10K, I would expect more. Like fully and properly polished side covers instead of the half-assed job they did. Jeez, they didn't even get all the corrosion marks off, lol. And that front brake set-up looks like a winner (Not!). Early MC paired with the late caliper. Bet that has wonderful lever feel, lol.

To come down to earth, here is what I sold as a rolling chassis. I included, not pictured, rebuildable calipers and master cylinders as well as a brake pedal and foot pegs. Back part of the frame had been abused by some deluded unskilled p o maybe trying to do a brat style on the cheap, I advertised it as a project start for hard tail with ownership/title at $500.00 as pictured. As fellow came by who had just finished an XS project and had some bits left over as well as a motor, so it was an match at $350.00. We were both pleased so that was the best kind of deal.

Attachments

• SAM_6185.JPG
    SAM_6185.JPG
    295 KB · Views: 144
  • SAM_6183.JPG
    SAM_6183.JPG
    281.3 KB · Views: 164
  • SAM_6181.JPG
    SAM_6181.JPG
    293.1 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Did I miss the boat or what? I sold this tracker project for less than $400 a couple weeks ago (with clear title). and all I had to do was paint it yellow and get one of the 4 Kenny Roberts in the local phone directory to sign it and call it the Kenny Roberts "Seat Tracker" Special Edition and put it on ebait for $15K. What was I thinking??
650 stuff 012.JPG

The way I look at it, a neck with a title/ownership should start at $250.00 and extra bits add on from there.
At an asking of $500.00, I had 3 responses in about 5 days, a fellow texted some follow up questions, made the offer, the deal was done.
But I still will regard it as a happy serendipity, and will not expect a repeat.
I am always mindful of karma.

Back