Another XS bought back to life.

Lindsay G

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay about the middle of last year I finally got the chance to buy an XS650. I had wanted to own one since they first came out ( I was 11 in 69 and really getting into cars and bikes, and still believe the best looking cars and bikes were built in the late 60's - early 70's). I owned other bikes, 73 CB500, 78 Z1000 (KZ1000 in the US) GSX1100 and various trail bikes, but for one reason or another I never owned an XS650.
Anyway I heard about one in bits that was for sale and wound up buying it.
Some would say I payed too much for it at $850 given the condition and there were quit a few parts missing but it was what I wanted so no regrets.
DSCF6013.JPG
DSCF6016.JPG
DSCF6018.JPG
DSCF6019.JPG
DSCF6020.JPG

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Lindsay G.
You'll certainly find lots of help in this forum. That little search button up in the right hand corner will become your new best friend.
Quite the project, have fun!

The bottom end didn't look too bad but I replaced the bearings and one gear. I was just going to give it new rings and a hone but after I had bought the rings I decided to get new pistons from Mikes and rebore it.
Should have mentioned I think what I have got is a 69 motor and a 76 frame.
005.JPG
015.JPG
016.JPG
DSCF6328.JPG
DSCF6450.JPG

Hi Lindsay,
and that's how much metal polish and elbow grease to put the nice shiny finish on that sad-looking aluminum?
And you are sure it's a '69 motor (no place for an electric starter , no 4-bolt leftside exhaust valve cover)?
Experts will know if that early of a motor will need special engine plates to fit in the '76 frame.

Everything I see on your engine says mid-XS1 to mid-XS1B. Serial number would confirm. Exceptions are:

Right side clutch cover.
See if you have a 4mm, 6mm, or 8mm oil pump.

XS1-XS1B 1st gear was 14/31, changed on XS2 to 13/32. Your tranny pic looks like later, with 13/32 gears?

More info, with chronological changes in here:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/yamaha-xs1-xs1b-xs2-tx650-tech-bulletins-service-data-brochures.31022/

Early 70-71 engine mounts:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/xs1-engine-mounts.47629/

Welcome Lindsay - very nice polishing job indeed!

It sure looks like a '76 frame (or at least front end and brake set-up look like my Lucille) - but the mufflers appear to be the older "baseball bat" type - like quite early 70's to me.

The giveaway would be the LEFT side exhaust tappet cover - does it have 3 studs or 4?

Anyhow - we're delighted you've joined and look forward to updates!

Pete

There's another giveaway to the head, just barely noticeable. Atop the camcover, in the middle, is the bulge for clearancing the cam sprocket. You can just barely make out that it's rounded, not flat-topped...

I hope Lindsay doesn't mind me butting in, but my family had a few Australian built Valiant/Chryslers - that is an Australian built Chrysler/Valiant Charger, arguably the fastest production car built at the time in Australia.
The rarest and fastest were the E38 and E49's built with a 265 Hemi inline six and triple webbers.

See here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Valiant_Charger

Count me in as being impressed with the progress of this challenging XS build, but I must say, the Australian built Chrysler/Valiant Charger just blows me away !

...and what, may I ask, is that Hoosier racing tire attached to !??

DSCF6443.JPG
DSCF6451.JPG
DSCF6452.JPG
Thanks for the welcome,
first the motor,
there is no starter motor and all tappet covers are three stud. The clutch cover is another one I bought because the one that came with it had cracks inside and it had an ugly repair on the YAMAHA lettering.
I'm a bit worried if the gear I replaced is wrong now because I've had the motor in the frame and the kickstart wouldn't turn the motor over.
No on second thoughts I counted the teeth on the old gear and made sure I got one the same.
It didn't slip it would just go down until it engaged and stopped.First thoughts were I might have two gears engaged at once.
I pulled the motor out and pulled the bottom off and by pulling bits off (clutch first then the gear on the end of the crankshaft) I worked out it was at the crankshaft end where the trouble was.It would turn over no trouble with the clutch assembled but the gear removed.
Didn't actually find out what the problem was but eventually started working.Maybe the wee plate that goes on after the gear wasn't over the keyway properly?
Anyway some engine photos. I will get the engine and frame numbers when I get to the workshop.
DSCF6013.JPG
DSCF6130.JPG
DSCF6131.JPG
DSCF6276.JPG

Last edited:
fredintoon , the polishing wasn't done in one go, or two goes ,probably more like ten goes.Every now and then I would spend a bit more time on it because that polisher in the background takes a bit of hanging onto when you're only a wee bugger.

Don't mind at all hotdog.
The Charger has the 265,fitted with an E38 cam and at the moment its got a Holley 4 barrel but I've got a set of Dellortos, the manifold and the air cleaners so all I need is the velocity stacks and I can fit them.
You might also like the Monaro (GM Holden for those the other side of the equator).She's got a 308 bored and stroked to 355, T5 trans and 9 inch. And currently a blown motor. I better clarify about that blown motor, I don't mean supercharged I mean top off a piston.
207.JPG
DSCF6038.JPG
DSCF6341.JPG
P2180439.JPG
P9120946.JPG
P9120949.JPG

Last edited:
Back