Another XS bought back to life.

Well the shims arrived and after studying the diagram I decided to just install one extra after the circlip. I also used the circlip that came with the shims as it was in better condition than mine. Put the cover back on ,tightened it up and at this point I should have checked the kick start operation but charging forward with confidence that my abilities don't always justify I fitted the brake lever, foot rest and filled it with oil only to find that the kickstart wouldn't move. Got to be that extra shim so strip back down and remove the shim. Fit the side cover and check kickstart operation and its working fine now.
I've even got most of the wiring (or as one of my mates calls it "the devils knitting") sorted. One problem I'm having is with the neutral light.It works when I ground the wire but when hooked up to the sender nothing happens. The wee ball seems to just flop up and down with no pressure at all and it seems to me that there should be some spring inside giving it a bit of pressure. The photos show it tilted up and down and the ball flops in or out.
P1010883.JPG
P1010886.JPG

...all that said, I don’t think that any XS650 ever had an oil pressure sensor from the factory even though my 1976 C-model (the redoubtable Lucille :yikes:) has a warning / indicator light labelled “Oil” in the spot where most other ‘76s have a brake lining wear indicator light.

:wtf:

Thanks once again 2M and Pete.
Well it lives. Satisfied the kickstart is working good enough (sometimes it rotates a few times before it grips and even then it's near the bottom of the stroke when it does grip) to try it after a few kicks there was a promising cough, then a couple more and then she fired up and ticked over really sweet. The only thing I've adjusted was the idle speed and only a fraction at that.
I even tried a ride from the workshop to the house and back a couple of times ( far enough to get up to a bit of speed in second) and it worked pretty well.
OK there are a few little things to sort out but hell I'm grinning like a goat in the garden at the moment.
I've been trying to upload a video of it running but not having much luck so far.

Congrats Lindsay!

Unfortunately there is no way to upload a video directly to the forum. Create a YouTube account, upload your video to that account, then right click on the video, 'copy video URL' then right click in a new post here and 'paste'. Video will then show up in your post here.

Back