Any ideas what swing arm will work here?

I would agree you can't run needle bearings against bronze. A search for "sleeve" may help you find steel with the proper diameters. Looks like my swing arm is going to be quite the project also, I am going to start a new thread on the this street tracker build because I actually threw some things together and learned a whole bunch about what I don't know on this frame.

I hate to keep bringing this thread back up, but I want to keep anybody that is thinking of using a YZ125 swingerm up to speed. I made a longer 17mm pivot bolt, and I'm going to drill out the pivot bolt mounting holes in the XS frame to match. Well, it turns out that the axle diameters are not the same as previously stated by gggGary. The XS has a 20mm axle diameter, and the YZ125 has a 22mm..... I'm beginning to think Gary needs a new tape measure. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to get past this one, but I'll figure out something. I'm not willing to give up on this one yet.

The YZ125 swing arm I have has a 20mm axle and the adjustment slots are 20mm also. Notice in the pic above I have the XS rear wheel mounted on the YZ axle in the YZ swing arm. Now to be fair I bought this off fleabay from a guy who SAID it was a 98 YZ125 swing arm. Is it really? who knows??? The one I have has the markings 5DH 7 on it. And it would not be that hard to mount it to THIS one off frame. I just am not sure I like the thick look of it.

I also got to looking at the pivot. the bearings ride on steel sleeves which sit on the pivot shaft. Unfortunately the sleeves are different sizes also. BUT the simplest thing to make your setup work would be a new sleeve with your pivot shaft ID and the YZ OD The YZ has about a .10 mm bigger OD than the XS that's too bad or you could just turn the XS sleeve to match.
Disclaimer!: all dimensions with a digital caliper of the really cheap variety handled by a third degree dufus.

there is a bloke in texas that makes shell replica swingarms,dont know if they are the same diamentions, but if they are may be he can make one up out of moly etc as he has the jigs already made up and he does good work..(he was building a shell replica frame last time i was talking to him) i can measure mine up later if you like (fitted straight in my 447 frame,but shorter and will take a wider tyre)....opps didnt realise this was a old thread

Last edited:
Thanks Leo, I'm guessing one of those would weigh more than the frame!

I'm thinking that is not much mass and vibration induced fatigue will give that frame a a short and very buzzy life-span if it is married to stock-crankshaft XS mill.

Planning on a re-phased?

Back