Are all xs1- xs650 front fender interchangable

Where the fender bolts to the forks is all the same. The early years had struts. Some bent some straight, they bolted to the fork in different places. The later years didn't have struts. All the strutless fenders mount to all the years. The bent and straight only fit the years they are. I think the first years 7073 had bent struts, the 74- 76 maybe a bit longer had straight struts. The later had no struts.
Leo

All 35mm xs650 front fork fenders from 77-84 will fit any model from 74-84

Last edited:
sorry i didn't read you post properly. The XS850 fender is slightly different to the XS650 front fender.

I think it is wider between the forks.

Just checked my XS850G Fender against my 80 XS650SG fender The XS850 is 135mm from outside to outside of fender mounts and the XS650 is 118mm. The XS650 guard curves in for the mounts, and the wheel arch width is the same width as the XS850. 135mm

I don't think the XS850 fender has the extra reinforcement in the brace under the fender the XS650 has. They used a 36 mm fork on the XS850, it didn't need the extra bracing.
I had an XS110 fender that had a very thin brace on the fender. Using it was like no fender. Made the forks much limper. Much more twisting of the fork in corners.
Leo

I went ahead and forked the extra for a 650 fender. Seems better to get right than save the twenty dollar difference. Hate to put one on but I hate road water face more. Lol. Thanks for the input.

I don't think the XS850 fender has the extra reinforcement in the brace under the fender the XS650 has. They used a 36 mm fork on the XS850, it didn't need the extra bracing.
I had an XS110 fender that had a very thin brace on the fender. Using it was like no fender. Made the forks much limper. Much more twisting of the fork in corners.
Leo

Very true. Didn't really take much notice of it, and a while back i was looking over a spare original XS650 front guard and was surprised at how much extra bracing it has. I think an extra fork brace on them could be a bit of over kill.

After looking at the guard and thinking of those who remove them for their better handling bobbers i have a bit of a giggle

Might anyone know if a 77-84 35mm front fender will fit on a 34mm fork? In my case I own a 76, but looking for a fender that does not have the s-bend cable route through the fender mounting bracket. The s-bend has potential for interference with the wider front tire I am running.

If anyone knows 35mm fork fenders might work on 34mm forks, I'd love to know!

I am Talking about the 74-76mm forks and later 77-84 35mm forks here........... The 72/73 34mm forks would also fit in but i have not done actual measurements with those 2 earlier forks.

I bought an 80 Special that had a cut down 34mm 74-76 front guard on it.

There was some talk by Hugh, (HHB), how the 34mm forks wouldn't work with his Fork brace, only 35mm forks would work.

I did some research using sets of forks i have because of the HHB problem and here is my conclusion and findings.

34mm Forks guard mounts were part of the mold when the lowers were cast.
As can be seen in the pic the 34mm guard mounts holes are 60mm Center to center The over all width, outside to outside is 81mm. That's 10 1/2mm from center of hole to outside of the mount.
34mm copy 1.jpg34mm side view copy 1.jpg34mm 60mm Center to center copy 1.jpg 34mm 80mm outside to outside copy 1.jpg

35mm fork guard mounts look to be welded on after the lowers sere cast.
Again in the pic, the 35mm guard mount holes are 60mm Center to center. The over all width, outside to outside is 75/6 mm. That is 7 1/2 mm from center of hole to out side of the mount
35mm Fork Guard Mount copy 1.jpg 35mm side view copy 1.jpg35mm 60mm center to center copy 1.jpg35mm 75mm ouitside to outside copy 1.jpg

74-76 34mm guard will swap with the 77-84 35mm guard and vise versa

Last edited:
You do realize the later fender won't have the tube support bracket front and rear, right? It's only mounting point is what Skull's pics show.

Will an '80 model xs850 front fender fit the '81 xs650?

I'm sorry to be late to the party on this. The XS850 Special front fender does not interchange with the XS650 because the 850 Special has a leading axle and the 650 does not. The XS850 standard front fender fits on an XS650 perfectly. I'm pretty sure the 850 standard and 650 standard front fender are the same part number. The same goes for XS750 and XS1100. The catch is the leading axle Specials.
1979_xs1100_special_front_end_rebuild_01-jpg.jpg

Back