Aussie Cafe build

Phil, after it's finished, and before it gets dirty or wrapped-up with a 'roo, take some calendar quality pics. Keep them in reserve for the next (hopefully) calendar. I need that hanging on my wall...

Hey Phil, how'd you go at the twilight show? I tried to get there but had a birthday party I had to attend to. Besides the weather was looking pretty ordinary as well! Did it still go on?

Hi Too Many, Hope you haven't jinxed me with those roos :wink2: I'll try to get some better pics and save them up for next year, hopefully.

Hi Staggers, The show went on despite the cloudy weather and was bigger than the organisers thought it would be. Lots of Harleys and Indian/Victors though.

I put my bike in and it ended up winning best in category and I had lots of positive feedback about it, so I was very chuffed!

Brassneck, You might be able to see the cut down screen in these pics.

I took the bike out for a good shakedown test today and I had a blast. :bike:
The bike did really well and nothing important fell off, so that was a bonus!
Found a small leak at the bottom of the LHS fork tube so I'll have to drop the front wheel and tighten the shock rod allen bolt. I think I've plugged the rest of the leaks.

Here' some pics from the show. There's also an XS1/2 in the background of some photos.

show1.jpg
show2.jpg
show4.jpg
show5.jpg
show6.jpg
show7.jpg
show3.jpg

Cheers

Hi,

I've fitted the hydraulic clutch with some good results so far, after one ride.

I made up a clutch rod extender to fit into the new slave cylinder to get the length right and have ordered some 8mm stainless rod to make up a new one piece push rod. I made the extender a bit longer than expected and trimmed it down until the slave cylinder fitted against the engine case.

The slave is I believe a 28mm cylinder and the lever is 13mm. The lever feel is firm but the action is smoother than a cable and you could probably get away with a 12mm master to make the feel a bit lighter.

I haven't measured the push rod throw yet but by observation it looks like about 3mm+-.

Here's the pics. Apologies for the fuzzy ones.

clutch 1.jpg
clutch 2.jpg
clutch 3.jpg
clutch 4.jpg

Hi,

I've fitted the hydraulic clutch with some good results so far, after one ride.

I made up a clutch rod extender to fit into the new slave cylinder to get the length right and have ordered some 8mm stainless rod to make up a new one piece push rod. I made the extender a bit longer than expected and trimmed it down until the slave cylinder fitted against the engine case.

The slave is I believe a 28mm cylinder and the lever is 13mm. The lever feel is firm but the action is smoother than a cable and you could probably get away with a 12mm master to make the feel a bit lighter.

I haven't measured the push rod throw yet but by observation it looks like about 3mm+-.

Here's the pics. Apologies for the fuzzy ones.

View attachment 60762
View attachment 60763
View attachment 60764
View attachment 60765

Looks pretty neat Phil. I think I've got exactly the same slave cylinder as yours. I was thinking of milling the face off the cover just enough to make the slave sit flush with the cover. What do you recon? Or might be taking too much off and weaken the cover?
What suburb in brisbane you at? I'm in coorparoo

Hey Phil, Ive just read your whole thread from start to finish and i am mighty impressed! I love what you've done with it and i bet it's a hoot to ride. I'm up north in the industrial "mad max" wasteland of Gladstone. The Mrs has family in Camira. I'll put my builds up soon, ones in progress and the other is my avatar.

Hey Rhysbud,
It's good to see all the Qld and Aussie builders saying g'day.
That avatar looks like an RD350 which would be very sweet. I used to race an RD400 at Amaroo in Sydney and owned an RD350LC.

I took the bike out for a ride today, between rain showers, and had a great time. :bike:
Cheers

I had a look at Phil's bike the other night and have to say it is wicked! Looks a lot better in the flesh too :thumbsup:
Definitely a calendar worthy bike.
Cheers for inviting me over mate

PHIL,

What a terrifice read - Ive just finished reading your 7 page build from start to finish. Thoroughly enjoyed seeing your meticulous descriptions and updates with attached photos. Your end result certainly puts to shame anything that rolls out of Deus Ex Machina.

When is your next build?:thumbsup:

Thanks guys for your kind comments.

The bike's been running well and not many teething problems (couple of bolts vibrated loose!). It's passed engineering certification and just waiting for the paperwork to make it official.

I did have one problem with some pin holes in the tank allowing fuel fumes to get under the paintwork, creating bubbles. Newbie lesson: don't believe the manufacturer when they say its been pressure tested! Always use a tank sealer!

Consequently, I've had to strip the paint off the tank, fix the pinholes (edit: lookup HTS 2000) and just finished sealing the inside of the tank. Next step is to redo the paintjob.

Meanwhile, I'm starting on the next project and have started a thread for the new build.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44901

Cheers,
Phil

Last edited:
Back