Billet top triple clamp,

I believe this one is made for clip ons. The 2 fwd holes are for guages? I would definitely buy one. Beautiful work man.

Correct! the two big holes are for my gages. That upper is for my cafe project, IM running Katana front forks and wheel. I will be makinmg 2 versions for 650's. one with bar mount holes (same diameter as stock) and one without for clip-on guys. Later on, I may do up a set with gage mounts from MikesXS, like my personal one. Im hoping to get one cut in the next 10 days. Ill keep the post updated.

durgam, I'll hold off as I'm now looking forward to seeing your "cafe type" without holes, definitly interested in getting one, the stock top triple looks odd with the bar mount holes.
cheers

After a very long wait, I have a prototype finished. Its a OE replacement type. Complete with bar mount holes, and gauge mount threared holes hidden underneath. I will mount this on my 76 (w/35mm forks) this weekend. Cant wait. Cafe style will come next. I have already made a cafe style for CB550 Honda's. Hers a pic of that one too.
XS650 BIllet upper OE style
IMAG0067.jpg

Underneath
IMAG0068.jpg

CB550 cafe style

IMAG0053.jpg

Tell me what you think

Very interested. I think I need to see a finished product. I am planning on running just a small speedo if that. So I would want some thing very basic. When are you gonna have a finished example? I think it would deffinately be made to order

I am also a machinist, and have been designing and manufacturing motorcycle parts on the side for a few years now. If I may offer a small piece of constructive criticism, Never make bike parts with square edges. Asthetically, it stops the eye from flowing through the design. Use radii to blend all surfaces until they flow into one another. Makes for a much nicer look, and as an added bonus, less likely to snag anything.

Two Jugs, I like the Idea, but that would require a new lower clamp as well. It may be something I do in the future. I am leary about making a billet lower for the public. Due to Liability concerns. I am doing it on my own cafe build. Im making damn sure its done right. For safety sake. Also, the stock stem will have to be removed, and re used. This is not a problem, for some, but many. I know modern sportbikes use all billet lowers, and even some aftermarket shops make aluminum stems. Maybe in the future, when i get better established.

Catastrophe... Thats the finished product, minus the pinch bolt machining. I got the general concensus from the board, that simple was better. So simple is what I did on the OE replacement. I shared the CB550 cafe style to show the alternative in design. But i planned on making the XS650 cafe upper, similar to the OE style, without the bar mount holes. But like you said...Made to order. To an extent anyways!

Cyberhick.... Criticism, constructive, or otherwise is always welcome. I tired different edge configurations, with corner radii. I didint like the result, when looking at surface area for clamping. Your right Nice corner rounding is very easy on the eye. I also didnt have the proper tooling at the time. Maybe after selling a couple, (Hopeully) I can pick one up. I didnt like the single pinch bolt on the factory stuff. So I opted to the twin bols all around, and It doesnt leave much room.

Im going to test fit this weekend. And I can have material 2 days after I order it. I would say, Less than 2 weeks from now I will have a dozen ready for shipment. I ll probly make 8 cafe, and 4 OE. Unless demand changes. Any takers??????

I have paypal. PM me for info!

Test fit went OK. Clamp fit great, but the gauge clusters as I found out with so many other parts on these bikes, are different from year to year. And the provisions i made for them will need to be moved to better accomodate. I have a cluster bracket that fits, and one that doesnt. In the pic it shows the position of the holes too close to the bar riser holes (Not sure of the year it came from) . That can be taken care of. the front of the OE clamp will be straight across, 'not cut in' as shown here. the bracket i have that doesnt fit is form a 76 for sure.

A rev will be made to the part, but the time frame will stay the same. 34MM or 35mm. same price. Cafe or OE are also the same price.

IMAG0084.jpg

IMAG0079.jpg

Its a very clean design. I can make it, but there isnt much provision for the neck clamp. Im tryin to make mine stronger than stock, while not looking bulky. A lot of guys liked the idea of a triangle with holes in it. Thats why the OE unit looks like it does. I tried to make a piece that was 'appealing to most' while not ugly! LOL It would be asy to add a large radius to the backside instead of the flat areas. i doubt the OE piece will see much life on a stock bike anyways. More of a bobber type, since the gauges will be A PITA, to make work for some years.

I think the cafe clamp is pretty sexy. I can round off a couple corners a bit, especially the neck area, with a large radius.

I would like to narrow it down to just 2 different pieces. Cuz i want to make these for other bikes too, and i cant make 2 of 10 different clamps.

Back