1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Build Thread...Special to Cafe Bike

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MaxPete, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

2. Team Junk

Team Junk XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

It was 60 here today and I thought that was "really F@CKIN’ cold".

3. mrtwowheel

mrtwowheel Honda Etched On Brain Top Contributor

It was 29F here today at 10 AM when I rode to the diner for breakfast. I would have left earlier but it was much too cold. It was a glorious ride.

MaxPete, gggGary, Mailman and 2 others like this.
  4. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty & Demi - I suggest but THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

HAH - I f@rt in the general direction of your 60 deg! :D

Sorry TJ - but that is simply NOT even close to cold.

5. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty & Demi - I suggest but THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

OK - now that is getting to be a nice “fresh” morning Mr. TW. I’ll bet those first three coffees tasted pretty danged good!
    Pete

Jim, Mailman and mrtwowheel like this.
  6. MaxPete

7. Team Junk

Team Junk XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

In my defense it was 28 when I got up to go to work yesterday morning.

Jim, Mailman, MaxPete and 1 other person like this.
  8. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

It's not the cold, it's the road salt.

Edit
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :cool:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  9. MaxPete

10. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

ms-PRN0lh1.gif
    Someone say Coffee?
    Right there with you XS projecter guys. Hang in there, Winter solstice is only a week+ away

11. David Toll

David Toll Reliving my youth?

39*C here yesterday. That's 102* in your book boys. S'posed to be hotter today according to the bureau. Had to stop working on my fork rebuild because my hands were too sweaty to hold the tools. Around 4:00 we had a storm that dropped about 4" of rain in an hour. Trees down. power out, air- cons fail, electric trams stopped in the middle of the street. Sun came back out and it was like living in a sauna. Summer in Queensland and I'm on the southern end! Life is so diverse.

12. fredintoon

fredintoon Fred Hill, S'toon. Top Contributor

Hi Pete,
    I guess it got donated, eh?
    Sitting on an (expletive deleted) frozen concrete floor will freeze your rectal tissue which can be a severe health hazard if's used before it's fully thawed..
    Let me suggest that you insulate your arse by sitting on a 2 foot by 2 foot piece of 2" thick rigid urethane foam board when working in the DCW.

13. MaxPete

Good thought Fred - I’ll remember that.

p

14. azman857

azman857 '80 XS 650SG Rider Top Contributor

one could get ….Polar- roids?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  15. MaxPete

Hmmmmm.....this looks interesting....

IMG_0762.jpg

...looks pretty grimy and oxydized....
    IMG_0763.jpg

But my big Vessel #3 JIS driver had all of the spokes broken loose in just a few minutes and then I numbered everything and ran all of the nipples out with my drill-driver and a GoFast Innovations #3 JIS bit.
    IMG_0764.jpg

16. MaxPete

...and after pulling the bearings and few minutes in the vapour blast cabinet in the shop, WAH-LAH!

Now, I am not as fastidious a polisher as Mailman or our sorely missed friend RobinC, but I think that even I can make these parts look pretty nice!
    IMG_0765.jpg
    IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

17. GLJ

GLJ Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly. Top Contributor

Careful Pete, no matter how good you make them look you always want to make them look better.

18. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Yeah, polishing is addicting. :rolleyes:
    Pete, how 'bout a little BRGreen in the hub 'tween the flanges?

19. fredintoon

fredintoon Fred Hill, S'toon. Top Contributor

Hi Pete,
    like Jim sez, paint the hub BRG.
    All over.
    Then swing the hub in a lathe to turn bright edges and outer faces on the spoke flanges
    and on the crests and crossbars of the between spoke flanges.
    Than polish the brake plate "so it shines like an outhouse door on a frosty morning"

TwoManyXS1Bs, gggGary, Jim and 3 others like this.
  20. MaxPete

OK OK - you guys are trying to suck me into the "pretty bike" thingy - but I'm more a "its a motorcycle not a Faberge Egg" sort of guy.

There will be BRG - but it won't be on the hubs. ;)

P