buildin' me a tracker

Yea I'm talking to you shame to spend all that time and rock the gel coat. I vote for pink!

Yeah, once It's running and MOST of the kinks are worked out the bodywork comes off and will be painted something like this.............

blueandwhite.jpg

So will there be a RatFink decal hidden some where?

No, but there will be some artwork on the sides of the tank. It's an interpretation of the "flying eye" that Von Dutch used as his logo of sorts. He was one of my heroes when I was growing up, a lot like Roth.

Loaded up and goin' to the CHP for VIN verification tomorrow. I LOVE this pic! '79 bike in a '79 truck! Don't get no better than this. Next weekend the wiring harness gets built and in a week or so after that we put a nickel in her! Stay tuned!

bikeintruck001.jpg

Both of which are super pretty!

Pre, where ya been? Your thread and pics are a great help as I mock up my tracker. Got a ?. You completely removed the right side centerstand mount. Red arrow is area I have in question? Omar's instructions say to leave the outer portion of that mount, thin it down and hang the silencers off it. Your silencers seem to be hanging free in the air, only supported by the pipes. Is that correct? Did you remove the complete mount by mistake, or have other plans for silencer support? Or am I missing something?

muffsfreehang.jpg

i'm still here. Been patiently waiting since a week ago today when I dropped off the bike to have a friend do the wiring. Well, not EXACTLY patiently. had to put a pic of the thing on my garage wall so I'd remember what it looks like :D. will be done next week, then fuel lines, gas and GO!! I removed the LEFT side centerstand mount, right side is still intact, that pic is at the wrong angle to show it.

misctrackerpics008.jpg

Dave, I beg to differ. The pic you just reposted, where you have the head pipes mounted to, is the originalright side oem headpipe mount point. It is mirrored on the left side of the frame. The left side becomes worthless. The way you have your silencers/mufflers bolted together with the L brackets on the mufflers, there is no support for the mufflers. Omar says in the struction's that those L brakets should bolt to the original right outside half of the center stand mount. Do you plan to just let the mufflers hang free only attached to the pipes? Again, maybe I'm missing something.

Go back to the thread beginning, look at the pic of the bike you got from Robert. You will see the centerstand mount that you removed.

I'm am not saying you did anything wrong at all, just asking and wondering if Roberts instruction are kinda just "in general" and we have to fit these pipes with a few tweaks here and there. Mine are not lining up anywhere near as high as yours.

Last edited:
You're right. To my recollection (and I just went out and went through my paperwork-I keep EVERTHING) there were no instructions with my exaust. But considering I had to drive both mufflers on with a deadblow hammer to seat them (might be because of the coating on the pipes, even tho I sanded them down some) they are tight and the fact that they are bolted to each other I have no doubt they have enough support. and yeah, even tho Robert said the pipes should need no tweaking mine did.

Dave, I wasn't pressing you so I could be right, just wanted to be sure I wasn't f'n up and run into more problems later if I removed to much from the frame. I just can't get these pipes to hang close together. The top left cylinder pipe is hanging good,the right lower pipe is just to low and doesn't kick up like it should.

Dave, I wasn't pressing you so I could be right, just wanted to be sure I wasn't f'n up and run into more problems later if I removed to much from the frame. I just can't get these pipes to hang close together. The top left cylinder pipe is hanging good,the right lower pipe is just to low and doesn't kick up like it should.

No, no, I know where you're comin' from. I want to help if I can. Can you post some pics? I might not have the answer but I consider Robert a friend and between the two of us I bet we can get you squared away.

Hey Woodog! I just picked up a '77 XS, looking to build a tracker, and found you here! What a great build you've got going. I'm VERY inspired by your exceptional work! I'm a little surprised you haven't swapped the alternator - the "Banshee mod." And what are you doing about ignition? Is that also stock (except for the coil)?

I'll be posting my work as it gets going. I'm really looking forward to your paint and fire-up. Thanks for sharing, and nice to see you here!

Steve

P.S. You avatar gives you away - TOO creepy!

Last edited:
Hey Woodog! I just picked up a '77 XS, looking to build a tracker, and found you here! What a great build you've got going. I'm VERY inspired by your exceptional work! I'm a little surprised you haven't swapped the alternator - the "Banshee mod." And what are you doing about ignition? Is that also stock (except for the coil)?

I'll be posting my work as it gets going. I'm really looking forward to your paint and fire-up. Thanks for sharing, and nice to see you here!

Steve

BowWow,
Posting sorry to be a pain, but post on this post.

I have got my 1980 XS650G stripped in the shed, ready to go in the Autumn (October) different ideas mean More options.

Prigrids is the possibly the best ever non standard re-build I have ever seen and I am using his ideas as well as some of my own and anybody Else's that tickle my fancy :D

Leslie

Pregrid,
Did your mag wheels come with the bike, if not did you have to change the rear bearings if so did you have a part number for the bearings for that wheel.

XS500WHEELSFRONT.jpg
[/IMG]

XS500WHEELSREAR.jpg
[/IMG]

My rear came of a XS500 and the spindle size for that bike is 17mm diameter but my XS650 rear spindle is a 20mm ,I am going to change the bearings and try and get a spacer.

I used an SR500 rear wheel for my tracker also, the 18" diameter really opens up the tire choices. The bearings you need are a #6206, that's not the Yamaha number but rather the number all the manufacturers use. There may be some letters after that number, that says what kind and how many seals the bearing has. For instance, a 6206FF is a #6206 bearing and has rubber contact seals on both sides, a 6206SS is also a 6206 bearing but it has non contact steel seals. I used FF's on my wheel, that way I don't have to use the big external seal you see in the SR500's rear hub. You can use the SS's but then you'll need to find a seal that will fit inside the SR500 wheel and also over the XS650 spacer. I'm sure it could be done, but I used FF's on mine, left out the big seal and everything's working perfectly so far.

I'll save you some time: the rear wheel has to shift .400 of an inch to the left (sprocket) side of the bike. Have that much machined off of the XS650 sprocket side spacer. You then have to have a spacer of the same thickness made for the brake caliper side, I made mine from round aluminum bar stock. Once that is done, the rear wheel is centered in the bike and as an added bonus the sprockets line up perfectly. :thumbsup: The wheel will not be centered in the swingarm though, it will look like it's too far to the left (sprocket) side. Don't let this throw you off, it had me scratching my head for a few days! Having it centered in the bike is way more important than being centered in the swingarm. This will, however, limit you to a max of ~ a 120/80-18 tire unless you are willing to modify the swingarm.

I used an XS650 caliper/mount bracket with a RD400 rear rotor, I had to add .130 between the right side inner spacer (which was the stock inner spacer for the drum brake XS650 rear wheel, you have to pull the brake off the wheel to find it) and the caliper bracket so that the caliper bracket was centered over the rotor. Then my custom spacer went between the caliper bracket and the swingarm. You'll need to have the 650 inner bearing spacer (that's the long tube inside the wheel, it comes out when the bearings are removed) cut down to fit between the bearings, sorry I don't have the exact dimension handy but it's the same length as the SR500 spacer. A good machine shop can do that for you. I'm not a good machine shop :doh:, I goofed, cut mine a little too short and had to add a couple of spacer washers, I tack welded those to the ends of the spacer tube. Makes it a lot easier to install! Once the spacer is in place, if you stand the wheel up it should not slide out from between the bearings and the bearings should spin freely. There's probably .010 inch of side play between the two bearings which makes it a bit easier, i.e. if the 650 spacer is cut down to where it's, say, .008 longer than the SR500 spacer it will still work just fine.

**EDIT:** Sorry, I was sending you the wrong way with the inner spacer dimension. The SR500 spacer has one end smaller than the other and it is a tap fit into the sprocket side bearing (which is already a 6206 on the SR500, BTW). There is a 'shoulder' where that spacer is machined smaller. The dimension you need to cut the 650 spacer to is from that 'shoulder' to the brake side.

pregrid, your bike is looking GREAT! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back