buildin' me a tracker

Dave, when we gonna see pics of wiring,battery area? Paint?

Pics of wiring? Meh, boring. Battery, paint? They'll be coming. I'm kinda in a funk right now. After my first run my motor puked oil and my charging system turned out to not be working. Gotta fix both those (motor's gotta come back out and a top end job done, but before that happens I've gotta find out the problem with the charging system). Don't wanna whine but I spent so much time and thought in this build and I kinda expected to just go ridin'. Silly me! So right now I've decided to take a break on this deal. From the beginning I decided if this thing wasn't fun I wasn't gonna do it. And I'm not. So.............here I am...........it won't be long............stay tuned...............

The fun comes after all the trials and tribulations. The fun comes with the satisfaction of over coming all the problems. For some the fun took years to get to.
Don't give up, persevere and you shall overcome.
Leo

The fun comes after all the trials and tribulations. The fun comes with the satisfaction of over coming all the problems. For some the fun took years to get to.
Don't give up, persevere and you shall overcome.
Leo

Yeah, I know. I'm gonna start lookin' into the charging system tomorrow. It ain't doin' me no good just sittin' there. Thanks for the thought.

Dave,
Just watched your run up video and youtube:thumbsup:

Leslie

here's the vid of out trip to the tracker meet. From my buddy's GoPro. His lens makes my bike look a foot and half shorter than it is. You can see the smoke from my pipes. I finally got around to cleaning the bike and am checkin' the charging system now.

here's the vid of out trip to the tracker meet. From my buddy's GoPro. His lens makes my bike look a foot and half shorter than it is. You can see the smoke from my pipes. I finally got around to cleaning the bike and am checkin' the charging system now.

Dave,
Nice the weather looks great there and didnt see many potholes in the roads.

Just one piece of advice/observation,,you lads ride on the wrong side of the road:laugh:

Leslie

Hey Dave what was your compression before you took this bike out? Is it just bad stem seals causing the smoking? Any leakdown test?

Where is the oil puking from?

Hey Dave what was your compression before you took this bike out? Is it just bad stem seals causing the smoking? Any leakdown test?

Where is the oil puking from?

I was gonna do a compression and leakdown test but......................

motoruot.jpg

Figgured it wouldn't make a difference since if it was, say, just valve seals, the motor's gotta come out so why not just do the whole top end, which is what I'm gonna do.
It was smoking out both exausts (and the inside of both pipes are coated with a thick, black, oily slime), and the breather was blowing oil as well. I'll know a lot more in a few days when the motor comes apart, stay tuned.

I was gonna do a compression and leakdown test but......................

motoruot.jpg

Figgured it wouldn't make a difference since if it was, say, just valve seals, the motor's gotta come out so why not just do the whole top end, which is what I'm gonna do.
It was smoking out both exausts (and the inside of both pipes are coated with a thick, black, oily slime), and the breather was blowing oil as well. I'll know a lot more in a few days when the motor comes apart, stay tuned.

Dave, do you want to borrow a runner engine to pop in while you work up your top end? I'm just down the road in Danville and have one on the deck you could use. Hate to see you lose what's left of the riding season with all the work you've done.

-=PO

Dave, do you want to borrow a runner engine to pop in while you work up your top end? I'm just down the road in Danville and have one on the deck you could use. Hate to see you lose what's left of the riding season with all the work you've done.

-=PO

Wow, I really appreciate the gesture but I'm cool. I enjoy the buildin' as much as the ridin'. 'Sides, I've still got my Husky and it's actually more fun to ride. But thanks again. Maybe we'll get together some day.

K, top end is apart and off to a machine shop in norcal. dealing with Mike at 650 Central and the shop he recommended. Feel really good 'bout this. Paint will be done at the same time. Hopefully in 'bout 2-3 weeks we'll be back together. Stay tuned...........

K, top end is apart and off to a machine shop in norcal. dealing with Mike at 650 Central and the shop he recommended. Feel really good 'bout this. Paint will be done at the same time. Hopefully in 'bout 2-3 weeks we'll be back together. Stay tuned...........

Staying stock or big bore,cam?

Staying stock or big bore,cam?

Nah, staying stock. Gotta stop the bleeding right now. My plan was to someday build a re-phased, 750, cammed motor. Still one the menu but right now I just wanna get her runnin'. The cylinder walls are really smooth( no cross hatch at all), with a really wierd wear pattern. Gotta be bored. Intake guides are good, exaust are too sloppy in my opinion. Good news is that the wrist pins seem to be tight in the small end of the rods. gonna rely on my machinist to do whatever is necessary to bring us back to specs. Mike at 650 Central works with this guy and recommends him highly. Anyone who's talked to Mike Morris knows he knows his shit and I trust him. Cool thing is he has the parts in stock and is like 7 miles from the machinist.

topendredo015.jpg

Nah, staying stock. Gotta stop the bleeding right now. My plan was to someday build a re-phased, 750, cammed motor. Still one the menu but right now I just wanna get her runnin'. The cylinder walls are really smooth( no cross hatch at all), with a really wierd wear pattern. Gotta be bored. Intake guides are good, exaust are too sloppy in my opinion. Good news is that the wrist pins seem to be tight in the small end of the rods. gonna rely on my machinist to do whatever is necessary to bring us back to specs. Mike at 650 Central works with this guy and recommends him highly. Anyone who's talked to Mike Morris knows he knows his shit and I trust him. Cool thing is he has the parts in stock and is like 7 miles from the machinist.

topendredo015.jpg

Pregrid,
I would say keep the motor stock, as yamaha designed it.

If you require more umph then get a bigger bike:bike:

In the past i have bored out standard engines and in some cases it has cost me quite a lot of money.

Leslie
Leslie

The 750 kit as sold by Mike's is a nice upgrade. Adds a buch of power without sacrificing reliability. As well as smoothing out the vibes above 4500 rpms.
The exra cooling fins don't hurt either.
Mike's also sells the big fin cylinders with the stock bore. I don't think it will effect vibes, uses stock pistons, not forged.
Leo

The 750 kit as sold by Mike's is a nice upgrade. Adds a buch of power without sacrificing reliability. As well as smoothing out the vibes above 4500 rpms.
The exra cooling fins don't hurt either.
Mike's also sells the big fin cylinders with the stock bore. I don't think it will effect vibes, uses stock pistons, not forged.
Leo

Yeah, it crossed my mind, but as I said, I'm trying to stop the bleeding and $660.00 for that doesn't do the deal. And I still have head work to do. Going the way I am it's not gonna cost me anywhere near that amount. would love to though.

Back