buildin' me a tracker

Pregrid, Got my tank from Robert today. I'm looking at the petcocks (there's got to be a better word for fuel valves). Am I correct that the handle pointing out is "off" and straight down is "on"? It seems to swing in as well, that is toward the center of the bike. Is that another "off" position or is the there some sort of reserve position? The finish is baby butt smooth and it looks like a nice piece of work. Lucky you, OR has 10% ethanol. Its pretty tough on my kid's 2 stroke KTM

Pregrid, Got my tank from Robert today. I'm looking at the petcocks (there's got to be a better word for fuel valves). Am I correct that the handle pointing out is "off" and straight down is "on"? It seems to swing in as well, that is toward the center of the bike. Is that another "off" position or is the there some sort of reserve position? The finish is baby butt smooth and it looks like a nice piece of work. Lucky you, OR has 10% ethanol. Its pretty tough on my kid's 2 stroke KTM

Yup, out is off, down is on. I don't know if in is a reserve or not, meant to but never did ask that question. When you say "tough on my kid's 2 stroke" what exactly do you mean?

The ethanol made the KTM run like shit. Same with my chain saw and old Evinrude outboard until we figured it out. Luckily a local station out here in the boonies carries alcohol free premium at $4.25. That's all I will use in the tracker since it will be a local only ride. BTW, to refinish the wheels, I got the old black finish off using an aircraft stripper called Tal-Strip II. Spray on, hose off. Very nasty stuff available from any car parts store.

Pregrid,
Started my dry build to check all is ship shape and running, then the painting and then hopefully with the grace of God and the Queen summer here I come...

startofdrybuild003.jpg
[/IMG]

Nice, won't be long now! I like that tail light. What kind of bars are you runnin'? I'm curious how you will sit on the bike with rear sets. I'm going by the local cycle salvage on Tuesday and see if he has a tank you can use. Are we talking Yamaha only or did other bikes use aluminum tanks?

Pre, this is the tank Leslie is looking for. This one is aluminum, they also were made in steel. They were on Yammie MX bikes in the mid to ? 70's. I've had this since Dec and have still not decided if I will use it or not. I really like the Champion style tank but am very fearfull of ethanol problems with fiberglass.

mx2.jpg

mx1.jpg

Leslie, not trying to be a smuck {ass in USA speak}, but why not start your own build thread for us to follow? The more tracker threads the better!

Sorry Dave,
But i spotted Pregrids build on this forum whilst surfing and looking for advise on my tracker build, as you know I am from the United Kingom Anglo/Scot clan MacKenzie, just started posting on his forum and never thought of a seperate thread as Pregrid and a lot of others were following his beautiful bike build.

Leslie

Sorry Dave,
But i spotted Pregrids build on this forum whilst surfing and looking for advise on my tracker build, as you know I am from the United Kingom Anglo/Scot clan MacKenzie, just started posting on his forum and never thought of a seperate thread as Pregrid and a lot of others were following his beautiful bike build.

Leslie

'sides, I don't mind..............................

Nice, won't be long now! I like that tail light. What kind of bars are you runnin'? I'm curious how you will sit on the bike with rear sets. I'm going by the local cycle salvage on Tuesday and see if he has a tank you can use. Are we talking Yamaha only or did other bikes use aluminum tanks?

Pregrid,
The tank is a Yamaha YZ/MX 250/400 74/75 ali tank.

I am using Pro Taper Contours Gold in colour with black controls R6 levers and front brakes.

I have had 30+ years on superbikes, The last 9 on the Fabulous Aprilia Tuono Factory and the Racing model. So the geometry of my Rearsets handle bars are mimmicking the Tuono, I think its a Brit thing.

Leslie

frontendhbars002.jpg
[/IMG]

Pregrid
The handle bars

Leslie, no need to apologize and I'm sorry if I came across wrong. Like I said the more tracker threads the better. We are out numbered compared to brats,bobbers and all the other silliness some do the XS. Oh boy, that may start something:cheers:

Leslie, no need to apologize and I'm sorry if I came across wrong. Like I said the more tracker threads the better. We are out numbered compared to brats,bobbers and all the other silliness some do the XS. Oh boy, that may start something:cheers:

Racer,
If its not a Tracker or a superbike or a crosser then I am not interested either.

Never got the chopper thing and definately never got the Harley thing. sorry to all my American cousins to call the Harley Davidson but they just dont do it for me.

Leslie

Back