Buying first XS650. Question about hardtail quality.

dyeguy65

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I found an 1980 XS650 on Craigslist that I am interested in purchasing. The guy selling it is the second owner and might not know who hardtailed it. I want to know what to look for when inspecting the quality of the hardtail. Are there certain things I should look for?

Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Just make sure it looks cool. After all, a bad ass hard tail is about "the look" first! LOL!!

Just my opinion, and that's worth less than the bandwidth it takes to post this message, I would never buy a cut bike that I couldn't have a conversation with the builder and assess if he knew his ass from a hole in the ground. I've seen a couple of bikes built by the same guy that were crooked as a dog's hind leg with beautiful welds.
Buyer beware. There's an awful lot of dumbasses out there cutting and hacking on bikes.

Like I said, my opinion don't mean much, and it means less here to many, because I'm not a cutter, but bikes come and go. You get one ass to put at risk.

Just make sure it looks cool. After all, a bad ass hard tail is about "the look" first! LOL!! - - -

Hi dyeguy and welcome,
Ace is right, hardtails are all about "the look".
If you want an XS650 that you can ride in comfort, check Craigslist again for one that still has it's rear suspension.

Sorry but it's pig in a poke, cut through a couple of welds look for good penetration? Get it on a jig and check the alignment?
Really about all you can do is look for quality and clean neat work on all parts of the bike. If you can see shortcuts and poor work there's more of that you can't see. Look at the welds and hope that if they look good they are good If you don't know what to look for in a weld well then buying a used "custom" may not be a good idea. Hopefully you can tell if it's a quality built hardtail or a DIY (or fly by night shop) lash up. Good luck!

post a pic so we can see it it could be junk or it could be a good build take it for a ride see how it rides, if it rides bad run!!! if it rides ok look to over real good...
pay no never mind to the hardtail hater's ride/build what you like... HFL( hardtails for life)
LOL

Hi dyeguy and welcome,
Ace is right, hardtails are all about "the look".
If you want an XS650 that you can ride in comfort, check Craigslist again for one that still has it's rear suspension.

Thanks for all the input fellas. I am not concerned about comfort. I am very aware of ride comfort differences between hardtail vs suspension. I'm asking about this with safety in mind. I'm no weld inspector so I was just curious if there was anything in particular to look for when looking at the welds.

I will take all of your suggestions with me when I look at these bikes.

Thanks again!!!

- - - I'm asking about this with safety in mind. I'm no weld inspector so I was just curious if there was anything in particular to look for when looking at the welds. - - -

Hi dyeguy,
there's professional weld inspection guys who make field-calls to pipelines and such.
You could find one in your locality and see what they'd charge to check those frame welds.
Mind you, if they don't look good they probably ain't.

Go to your local library. Get books out on welding. There are pics and descriptions of welds, good and bad.
This should help. If not no money spent.
Look in motorcycle mags. I've seen books, CD's and DVD's advertised on all sorts of things. Find ones about welding.
Leo

Back