Can't Get Bike To Start...Too Cold? Battery? Starter? What else??

PeePudSpud

Take It Easy!
Reaction score
Hey guys i need some help,

my bike has been on the stand for a few weeks while I was ordering parts for new handle bars after my throttle cable broke. I was previously able to start it on the first kick. But now that everything has been put back together, i can't seem to kick it over :confused:

my lights come on, could the battery still be too weak to start it? what else is there to look at (process of elimination).

ps- be specific if you can with some options. i'm still learning but i'm competent. And i have a Haynes manual.

Cheers!

I would start by charging the battery with a motorcycle rated charger. One that has a charge rate of 1.5 or 2 amps.
I like a Schumacher SEM1561A . It charges at the full 1.5 amps to charge the battery. It keeps track of the battery voltage till it reaches 13.8 volts, at this point it drops to the maintainer charge. This is a very low amp, .10 amp to just keep it charged to the 13.8 volts. This promotes battery life.
Once you get the battery charged, test for spark. If no spark troubleshoot the ignition.
If you get spark check the carbs, are they getting fuel?
If getting fuel, Is the fuel getting to the engine?
Leo

right on thanks guys...

checked the carbs (and emptied them). they are getting fuel, and fuel is getting to the engine.

i'm charging the battery as we speak, so..time will tell soon.

QUESTION THOUGH..when you say "check for spark" what exactly do you mean? i pulled the spark plugs and they were kinda dirty. i did my best to clean them to no avail. still wouldn't start. that's when i started charging the battery.

by the way, it's kick only. no electric start (if that matters)

Last edited:
right on thanks guys...

checked the carbs (and emptied them). they are getting fuel, and fuel is getting to the engine.

i'm charging the battery as we speak, so..time will tell soon.

QUESTION THOUGH..when you say "check for spark" what exactly do you mean? i pulled the spark plugs and they were kinda dirty. i did my best to clean them to no avail. still wouldn't start. that's when i started charging the battery.

by the way, it's kick only. no electric start (if that matters)

Remove and ground a spark plug against the body of the motor (you can use copper wire or simply hold it against the head- just don't leave it hanging about kicking away). Kick or use starter (in your case kick). Look for a spark. It should be blue and strong. No spark means no start. If its not there at all, there is an electrical problem like a loose connection or fuse for example. This could explain why the bike worked, then suddenly stopped..

Remove and ground a spark plug against the body of the motor (you can use copper wire or simply hold it against the head- just don't leave it hanging about kicking away). Kick or use starter (in your case kick). Look for a spark. It should be blue and strong. No spark means no start. If its not there at all, there is an electrical problem like a loose connection or fuse for example. This could explain why the bike worked, then suddenly stopped..

make sure not to shock yourself when doing this though. hold onto the rubber boot.

ok guys, i'm an idiot!

my new kill switch needs a relay. it wouldn't start unless it was pushed in!! i knew something wasn't adding up.

anyway, thanks so much for your help guys. seriously you guys gave me trouble shooting techniques for the future. You guys are awesome!

got a zip tie holding the button down until i go get a relay for my switch. thanks for the help ya'll

-cheers!

Back