Charging System Question. Yes, I've read it.

Sorry didn't mean to scare you I doubt you did damage in those few miles.

I think I got my "short" put to bed, there were a couple of "possibles" a headlight wire in the shell was rubbed bare and as always it's crowded in there. And a tail light wire was cracked and exposed inside under the bracket.
I turned down the regulator a bit as I was seeing 15+ volts at speed. Went and put 120 miles in the Wisconsin Kickapoo valley area, a bunch of hills and curves. Riding with an 1800 winger and the guy likes to GO. No more breaker tripping.

EvenmoreXS: Thanx for laying this all out for us, a lesson hard learned and earned!

gggGary: " I have the led on the bike. showing low charge at idle then "after a while I saw high voltage, green red flashes, then very low voltage. all the way down to VERY dim lights, Then back to running, charging perfect.*" --Now THAT's a handy do-dad! The digital/numeric display may not have caught that...

Well, I just finished hooking mine up tonight. Blinks red when switch is on. I'll see how it works on my ride tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMAG0894.jpg
    IMAG0894.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 136
  • IMAG0896.jpg
    IMAG0896.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 134
  • IMAG0897.jpg
    IMAG0897.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 131
Knowing I had charging issues and wanting to back up (compare) the LED I taped a small digital volt meter on the handlebars for the ride yesterday. For really intense charging work the digital is the better tool but the LED is more likely to alert you to a problem because an unusual condition stands out with the flashing, different color. In full sunlight without a shade for the LED it's a bit washed out when green but when it turns red it shows up more, enough to gain your attention if trouble pops up I think.

Back