Clutch (RH) cover won't go back on.. HELP!!

mikeh36

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello All

I tried doing the starter fix (pinching the bendix in a vice) and am in the process of putting everything back together. The cover is getting bound up back by the kickstarter and a little bit at the front. I don't think I pulled the kickstarter out when I pulled the cover off but I'm not sure. All the wire tabs are in their proper slots and I don't think the tang on the back has moved but I can't be sure without pulling it, something I'm trying not to do as it looks like a pain to put back in from the videos I've seen. Should the flat "washer" on the end of the kickstarter be flush with the inner case? I've attached a couple of pictures to show how it looks now.

Also, on the front side of the case? What do I do if the oil pump gear doesn't match up with the gear in the engine? Can I blip the start and try to get them to mesh that way or is it a case of trial and error?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• starter1.jpg
    starter1.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 255
  • starter2.jpg
    starter2.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 246
Just did this too. Is the circlip that holds the washers etc...onto the kickstarter shaft in the right pla e? My cover took a few love taps to get the shaft to slide through the oil seal (not too hard or youll bugger up the seal). Just with the palm of your hand.

To line up the oil pump gears try moving the front of the cover up and down a bit as you try to slide it on.
Leo

Just did this too. Is the circlip that holds the washers etc...onto the kickstarter shaft in the right pla e? My cover took a few love taps to get the shaft to slide through the oil seal (not too hard or youll bugger up the seal). Just with the palm of your hand.

As far as I can tell it is. I didn't touch the kick-started at all, just the electric start. Is the outside washer (the big silver ring) flush with the inside edge of your case or does it stick out a bit like it is in my pics? That distance is about the gap I'm seeing when putting the cover on.

Solved!!! Yes, the kickstarter did slide out enough that the tang shifted. Managed to get it back in the correct spot by putting the lever on it and rotating until it popped back in. Bolted the cover back on, filled the oil, and tried the electric start. Works better than before but still slips on occasion. I'll look at replacing the gear when the Canadian version of Mike's (xs650direct.com) gets some stock. Now to get started installing the Pamco ignition and the new wiring bundle.

Back