Do you wave or nod? Or not?

Its funny, I rode my xs bobber 25 miles one way to work and back for several months and I could count on one hand how many times i got the nod, peace sign or anything else. I decided to get something a little more daily driver friendly and picked up a 2013 HD street bob. been riding it daily for a couple weeks now and get the nod, peace sign, wave etc at least three or four times a day. I always try to reciprocate, but sometimes I am guilty of pre-judgement also. If you have a mohawk on your full face, full racing leathers and ride a 250 sport bike, i probably wont be nodding back.

Out here in the sticks, everybody's friendly (well, the locals anyways), always a nod, hat tip, two-fingers off the steering wheel, down low, etc.

Except in town, everybody's too busy negotiating tourest traffic. Or the green riders on 800 lb behemoths, concentrating on their new white-knucle ride.

I love being around friendly people, we're all friendly out here.

We've all got deer rifles...

I can get the deuce down low out there pretty quick for a response....... I particularly like to initiate them in the twisties and chuckle to meself on those that are white knuckling it on their big bikes and can't/won't respond. We're pretty friendly here too.

Well I'm converted into the "acknowledge everyone" status. I work retail and I'm used to having to deal with the public, so everyone is in the club. Wellllll...... Maybe hard for me to nod the sport bike punks who are trying to make riding a bike a bad thing around here.

I tend to "low wave" when there aren't that many bikes out. Doesn't matter much to me what you ride. I think my wife waves her fool arm off when she's on the back. Once you get far enough in the boonies everyone waves, cars, bikes, pick ups, even guys doing field work.

Funny shit http://hipsterbikevideos.com/

Top 10 bikes for Hipsters, #1 is the Honda CB. Some of us are old enough to need a hip replacement.

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2013/02/21/motorcycle-news/top-10-hipster-motorcycles/11/

I had a nightmare once where all the bikers in the world were like the ones from the musical grease... Its a personal hell, I assure you.

That said a close second would be hipsters running around the NYS super swap.

Thanks for the new view of hell, it seems I've been gone too long.

the best I can say is the hobby has survived equally bad trials, like the spurs people would drag to make sparks, and trophy wives...

I hope they all blow their money and sell at a incredible loss so I can be there to pick up the pieces.

I guess I should follow the links.
What is a hipster?

everyone is basically a hipster, as we are all hip in our own minds. The hate comes from envy that's all. You can be a hip "gangsta kid" a hip "metal head" hip "50's" kid. its just a lame word to try and out someone. just another stupid sub group name to prove those who are different are different too, just a better different.

everyone has something to offer, no reason to pretend you are better just because youre not following a certain trend.

Word!

I'm too cheap and lazy to be a hipster but I think some of that stuff is cool. Hell, I'm not into chrome, plastic, or rust but they all deserve a wave, IMO. :bike:

Its funny, I rode my xs bobber 25 miles one way to work and back for several months and I could count on one hand how many times i got the nod, peace sign or anything else. I decided to get something a little more daily driver friendly and picked up a 2013 HD street bob. been riding it daily for a couple weeks now and get the nod, peace sign, wave etc at least three or four times a day. I always try to reciprocate, but sometimes I am guilty of pre-judgement also. If you have a mohawk on your full face, full racing leathers and ride a 250 sport bike, i probably wont be nodding back.

Bwahahahaha sooo true. Same roads, approximately the same time of day, 5 days a week
they will wave if I'm on the little brides couch but not if I'm on a 6fiddy.

I live and ride in a very rural environment. More than half the riders (and drivers for that matter) that I meet are people I know. It's kinda strange. Not responding to a nod or wave says something that you really don't want to say. So yes, pretty much everyone I meet gets an acknowledgement of some sort, usually the low open hand.

Sometimes the full face is nice just for the anonymity it provides:wink2:

roy

Last edited:
Yup, low five here, to every two-wheeler I see. Most acknowledge, some don't. Not my problem, don't take offense.

If I happen to be busy when someone waves at me, I'll give 'em a toot on the horn.

everyone is basically a hipster, as we are all hip in our own minds. The hate comes from envy that's all. You can be a hip "gangsta kid" a hip "metal head" hip "50's" kid. its just a lame word to try and out someone. just another stupid sub group name to prove those who are different are different too, just a better different.

everyone has something to offer, no reason to pretend you are better just because youre not following a certain trend.

Not quite...
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hipster

http://www.thinkaboutit-knowaboutit.com/2014/04/lumberjack-hipsters-and-ironic.html

"Ironic masculine hipster is ironic. Remember that irony implies a certain sense of things being interesting or peculiar because you'd expect them to be a different way. The lumberjack hipster is ironic because you see him with full beard and tattoos and think, "manly man," but then you get to know him and find out the guy uses special organic oils from some store in Williamsburg for his beard and has never held a hammer in his hand in his life. So much of hipster culture is about cultivating a look while living a completely different lifestyle, which only adds to all the irony. It is reminiscent of suburban white kids "dressing street" while never having actually been in the streets."

I would put them right in the same group as the harley guy who makes a bunch of money and decided to buy a bike one day, running down to the local dealer to get a "outfit" as a pathetic attempt to be accepted when they show up to major events.

Its not hate, its pity. And I'm not Hip, even in my own mind, there is nothing cutting edge about anything I'm doing.

I wave. In my area the guys that dont wave are stereo type self proclaimed extreme tough guy harley riders OR guys riding big metric V twin cruisers. I wave at scooter pooter riders but most dont wave back- I think they have been belittled so they dont bother.

Not quite...
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hipster

http://www.thinkaboutit-knowaboutit.com/2014/04/lumberjack-hipsters-and-ironic.html

"Ironic masculine hipster is ironic. Remember that irony implies a certain sense of things being interesting or peculiar because you'd expect them to be a different way. The lumberjack hipster is ironic because you see him with full beard and tattoos and think, "manly man," but then you get to know him and find out the guy uses special organic oils from some store in Williamsburg for his beard and has never held a hammer in his hand in his life. So much of hipster culture is about cultivating a look while living a completely different lifestyle, which only adds to all the irony. It is reminiscent of suburban white kids "dressing street" while never having actually been in the streets."

I would put them right in the same group as the harley guy who makes a bunch of money and decided to buy a bike one day, running down to the local dealer to get a "outfit" as a pathetic attempt to be accepted when they show up to major events.

Its not hate, its pity. And I'm not Hip, even in my own mind, there is nothing cutting edge about anything I'm doing.

urban dictionary :doh: really? that's what you went with. if you think someone with a beard and flannel is a man then that is in your head not everyone else's head. what someone is physically able to do does not define them as a man, thats a closed mined old world way of thinking. you are not connected with people if you really believe what you put down. lets not worry about others and try to focus on yourself. thats why threads take a turn. this thread is about waving or nodding to other bikers on the road.

you pitty them so you make fun?? sounds like hate and not pitty. hate is fear. who cares if some dude with money buys a harley WHO CARES. Why is that anyones concern. Jealous? yeah you are, because youd love to own one.

In the 70s, yep, everyone waved or nodded, and even flashed headlights. I wave when I dare take my hands of the ramhorn handlebars, otherwise I nod. There are some who sail past with faces like a bulldog chewing a wasp - they look straight ahead, others zoom pasts on sports bikes, but when the wave and the nod comes back it restores the faith.

I'll keep doing it and pass on the tradition of the brotherhood.

ANLAF

you pitty them so you make fun?? sounds like hate and not pitty. hate is fear. who cares if some dude with money buys a harley WHO CARES. Why is that anyones concern. Jealous? yeah you are, because youd love to own one.

Never made fun, simply linked and compared them. If you took offense its possibly because the shoe fits. So who cares? you do for one.

If you think its because I don't own one, you obviously missed my introduction. If you think I only own 2 bikes, your still wrong.

To get back on subject, if I ever pass you you'll still get a nod or wave.

i dont own a beard, yet i do work on a ranch and have cut down and chopped many a trees. haha ill wave to you too. I dont own a harley, but did have a 66. best bike i ever owned if you dont count the maintenance. in the nw everyone is pretty friendly and waves no matter what is being ridden. I also notice guys in jeeps wave to each other too.

Back